SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Maks

Is there any (non-Asian) outfit currently producing them? Been quite a spell since the days before the refractor boom when they figured prominently in the discussions.

I have a very nice (TEC) 150mm but would like to now have the same quality 200 or 225mm. Nothing like a missed opportunity!

Hi, Intes Micro of Russia use to make a 200mm and bigger I believe up to 250mm but at a price as I am sure you will guess. Also Orion Optics of the UK did make a very fine 200mm which was very highly regarded, I believe they started doing this again about 18 months back.

Alan

Yes, Orion Optics do a carbon fibre 200mm f20 now, very expensive. I had the previous aluminium version, very good but like many Maks, tricky to cool. I believe the new one have better venting to reduce the tube currents.

On 22/02/2019 at 23:44, Tyson M said:

I noticed it gone now.  What do these typically go for preowned? 

There is quite a big gap between the original aluminium ones which go for around £1250 say, and the CF ones which are £3 or £4k. I believe the cooling is better in the CF ones but no idea if there is a big performance difference.

Archived