Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Moon shot (for years)

Astrokev

Although not quite finished, my new observatory is more or less operational, so thought I ought to try it out. This is the first lunar image I've taken (through a scope) for several years. I'd almost forgotten how much I love the Moon!

Final image is a stack of 11 shots taken through my Esprit 100 at prime focus, using a Nikon D300 to capture the photons. Stacked in AutoStakkert (first time I've used this software, and seems pretty good), with very minor wavelet processing in Registax 6 (don't really know what I'm doing with wavelets, so just fiddle until I'm happy), then final tweaking in Photoshop.

If anyone has any links to any helpful guides in how to master wavelets I'd be hugely grateful!

167687360_Stacked-1RegPS-2.thumb.jpg.0038f1697b06b3711b1c82516420dd22.jpg

1 hour ago, Astrokev said:

.....don't really know what I'm doing with wavelets, so just fiddle until I'm happy.....

Yep,  join the gang.   ..... and there are six sliders to infinitely adjust !.....  some (most) times counter productively....

5 hours ago, Craney said:

Yep,  join the gang.   ..... and there are six sliders to infinitely adjust !.....  some (most) times counter productively....

I only used slider 1&2. As you say it's easy to get carried away which can easily look false. I remember reading a good guide to how to use them years ago. Blowed if I can find it again though!

14 minutes ago, Bizibilder said:

A lovely sharp image - you've not lost "the touch"!  Just a suggestion - instead of wavelets, try deconvolution.  imppg will find it.  Have a play - I find it far easier to use than wavelets, and it gives results that are at least as good!

I've heard of that but no idea what it does. Thanks, I'll look it up. 

Well, here's a first stab at using ImPPG deconvolution. No idea what I'm doing so using the same method as I use for Registax wavelets - trial and error. On this n=1 test I think I prefer the deconvolution method, although ImPPG seems to convert to B&W. Is this a function of the deconvolution process?

386082638_Stacked-1ImPPG-2.thumb.jpg.dd19b38602103f062ec1d7ea0b0cff29.jpg

Archived