Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

cloudsweeper

More Terminator Treats

5.05 - 5.50pm, Sunday - Moon nearly full, lowish in east, between houses, so I grabbed the chance to view more treats on the terminator, using the ED80 Apo.  (It's been all Moon lately, as it goes cloudy after dark.)  Mags - x40, 80, 120.

Craters west of Mare Humorum close to the terminator led to Byrgius with its floor in shadow and a notch out of its western rim, right on the terminator.  Immediately north was a region of overlapping craters, resembling a foot (same size as Byrgius) with two big toes.  East of that, a group of three tiny craterlets, then the little de Vico.  Continuing NW, the larger Cruger, and further still, a feature of the Cordillera Mountains appearing as a near-complete white oval suspended in darkness.  Very interesting and pleasing.

I finished with a look at Gassendi, last viewed two days ago, and now very washed out, except for a bent line of six little white dots, presumably a combination of peaks and craterlets.

Amazing how much there is to examine in just a small region of our beautiful Moon.  And it's different every night!

Doug.

• Like 6

Had a quick look myself around 6pm as one of my favourite areas, Aristarchus and Schroter's Valley were well placed. Disappointing however as the seeing was poor.   ☹️  

Waiting for the moon to rise above the trees here. Nice report Doug :smiley:

• Like 1

Just watching a shaft of light throw an arc through hevelius.. lovely view as it's developing 

And a even fainter "fan" of light developing in grimaldi too.. 

Edited by Fozzie

Nice one Doug, the Moon has certainly been looking lovely recently with these clear ish skies!

Did you spot this feature? Not sure if it was the one you described? I was using a little 52mm spotting scope to show my daughter the moon and had some nice low power views, but enough to spot this little glimmer hanging out in the darkness.

20190217_201620.jpg

• Like 1

Stu - @Stu - I think I must have been looking further south where there was much detail on the terminator, and it was a very clear white oval/sausage - shape hanging in isolation in the blackness, quite lovely.

Peter - @Peter Drew  - the seeing wasn't bad (as far as I could tell, only going up to x120), but the transparency was bad yet again when I looked out later and could only make out the outline of Orion.

Mustn't grumble though - I've had 23 sessions so far this year!

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 1

Nice seeing at the moment here - 240x with the 130mm refractor is very sharp. I'm loving the views of Aristachus crater currently. I can see dark streaks in a couple of places leading down the craters steep walls. According to NASA these are impact melt deposits, as described in this simply magnificent LRO image of the craters west wall :smiley:

https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap120217.html

Stuff like this really adds to the fascination of what I can see through my scope I feel :icon_biggrin:

• Like 2

I noticed those streaks as well John. I've been looking at the Aristarchus Plateau area and have been facinated by it's colour, a slight purplish brown that stands out as a square from the surrounding grey. I was using my 12" Dob with a 17.5 Morpheus and a 14 Delos. Has anybody else noticed this or am I just imagining it.

Avtar

• Like 1