Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Battery to power HEQ5 Pro at dark sites

smr

Hi,

I'm now very comfortable setting up and imaging with my mount and autoguiding etc. so I would like to buy a battery and drive to dark sites to image. I live around half an hour to an hour to dark sky locations so it would be great to improve my images by doing so.

What battery would you recommend I go for? It would need to power my HEQ5 Pro, laptop and autoguiding, and dew heaters.

If you have any advice and other tips as well for imaging at a dark site that would be appreciated. I have a single 12v socket in the back of the car if that could be useful for anything...

And ways to keep warm in the car etc.?

My recommendation is to buy a lithium power pack. a known name like Tracer, Celestron, etc.
Definitely not an ebay special deal.

There are many  reasons for lithium against lead acid. The most obvious being weight. You have enough to carry to site.

Regard your car power outlet as a last resort. You don't want a flat battery at end of the night.
You do not want kit connected to the car when you operate the car start.

I am sure many others will be along with further advice.

David.

Archived