Narrowband

NGC 2683 revisited

wimvb

For first light for my new scope & focuser, I decided to revisit this small galaxy in Lynx.

Gear:

• SW Explorer MN190 on SW AZ-EQ6, with Pegasus Focuscube
  • Camera: ZWO ASI174MM-Cool at -20 C, gain 20
  • Guiding: SW finderguider 9x50 with ASI120MM-S and PHD2
  • Software: INDI/Ekos for data capture, and PixInsight for processing

Total integration time: 4.4 hrs

• L: 36 x 120 s
  • R: 24 x 180 s
  • G: 20 x 180 s
  • B: 19 x 180 s

ngc2683_cc_hsv_LRGB.thumb.jpg.a0748d9eb8a36536ccdd2ef812289cc3.jpg

(click on the image for a larger version)

I hadn't quite anticipated the extra weight on my mount, especially the weight combined with the larger distance. I couldn't balance the scope even with the extension bar and both weights, so I had to improvise with a few clamps. I couldn't add the extra weight from the ST80. I had to guide with my 9x50 finder, which I normally only use for polar alignment.

Also, today I noticed that the collimation still was a little off. It was WAAAY off when I unpacked the scope. The laser dot hit the primary about midway between the center dot and the edge. Collimation with the help of my barlowed laser put it quite close. Today I used a collimation cap to fine tune it.

improvised.thumb.jpg.6ac0c1898c215c1507025d0b617398e2.jpg

4 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Thanks, Göran. I have now replaced the clamps with an extra counterweight. And thanks again for suggesting I should get this scope rather than a Newt.

You are welcome Wim, but it is a Newt, or a slight modification called Mak-Newt?

Really nice image Wim! I also have an improvised counterweight arrangement - I declined to spend £100+ on a Geoptic lump and bought a weightlifting weight of the same mass for £10.

I'm surprised to see quite thin snow on the ground - I thought you'd be up to the eyeballs in the stuff  by now...

By coincidence I logged on to post my own NGC 2683 image - coming shortly.

Regards

Nigel

1 hour ago, NigeB said:

Really nice image Wim! I also have an improvised counterweight arrangement - I declined to spend £100+ on a Geoptic lump and bought a weightlifting weight of the same mass for £10.

I'm surprised to see quite thin snow on the ground - I thought you'd be up to the eyeballs in the stuff  by now...

By coincidence I logged on to post my own NGC 2683 image - coming shortly.

Regards

Nigel

Thanks, Nigel. The clamps worked, surpisingly. But hardly a long term solution. The cw was only £ 35.

I'll have a look at your version of this galaxy.

47 minutes ago, Star101 said:

Nice shot Wim.

I can see a few other galaxies in the background too. Very nice. :)

Thanks. I platesolved the image, but the solver missed the rather obvious one right next to the main target.

Here's the solved and annotated version (click to enlarge).

ngc2683_cc_hsv_RGB_Annotated.thumb.jpg.b16b63758ec8176404787f861cf82d45.jpg

2 hours ago, NigeB said:

We've had our fair share of snow, but most of it has melted by now (already). Otoh, we may have more of the stuff until Easter.

Very nice, Wim, and congratulations with your new toy! I wonder what your impression is with the focuser. I'm very pleased with my MN190 as well, with the exception of the focuser and in particular the built-in extender. However the optical quality is exceptional.

Also nice to see a not so often imaged target.

By the way, the Pegasus cubefocus looks interesting ....

/Thommy

Thanks, Thommy. The jury is still out re the focuser. I like the low profile, but haven't used it enough to give a verdict on stability or smoothness.

The focuscube is a neat solution. But it takes some creativity to attach it. In my case I had to attach the bracket with the focus lock screw (which isn't used anymore, btw). And I can't use the temperature probe that came with it. On my 150pds, I had to attach the cube between the tube ring and the dovetail.

Archived