SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

hand controllers

hi all just a quicky ,Is it possible to use the hand controller from my nexstar se mount in my AVX mount ? if not can someone explain why pls as the setup in the se seems to be easier and gets me into my session easier and quicker

thanks

I can't say, but if both controllers are Celestron Nexstar then they should be interchangeable.  OTOH your post implies that the controllers differ.  If you need more information, please post photos of the controllers and indicate the exact model and firmware revision involved.

Short answer: Yes, you can.

Long answer:

The hand controllers are not interchangeable straight away, the software inside needs to be changed before one can be used in place of the other.

If you plug the hand controller to the telescope and then connect it to your laptop, you are able to switch the EQ software to AZ and vice versa. For the newer Nexstar + (the hc on the right in your image) this is done via Celestron Firmware Manager and for the older, regular Nexstar, it is done via HC update. 

https://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/HCFirmwareUpgradeHowTo.htm

Use this link to learn more about how to update the firmware.

I hope this helps. ?

Cheers,

Tomi

The controller pictured on the left is the Nexstar  and the one on the right is the Nexstar+  The Nexstar+ is the newer design which superseded the Nexstar handset in production around 2015.  On my alt-azimuth GoTo SE and SLT I found I could interchange these handsets without altering anything.

As for equatorial, every time I use the Nexstar+ on my  alt-azimuth SLT, I scroll past options for EQ North and EQ South, but I remember that when I refreshed the firmware I had to choose to load an alt-azimuth rather than EQ version. If you do decide to try this, you will need to download various bits of software and acquire a USB to serial converter and a serial to handset cable.  Yes, the process is stupidly complicated (unlike my TV which updates itself automatically), but that's how it is, and I always advise enquirers to leave well alone unless they HAVE to update the firmware. And did I mention there are separate procedures for the mount and handset firmware?  Later handsets MAY have a USB connector rather than the older serial port.

Firmware version is probably viewable in menu/utilities/version.

Since you are currently using the more modern controller on the AVX mount I suggest that you leave well alone.

Archived