SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Multiple channels - deep sky stacker

rubecula

When composing an image with mutiple channels (LRGB or Ha OIII SII) I've read that in DSS you should register the images so that the stars all line up when you use a function such as Merge Channels in Photoshop.

So when registering images does that mean ALL the images i.e. 3/4 sets of lights plus darks, flats and bias or just the lights??

Thanks

If I recall correctly ('tis a while since I used DSS!) you put all the calibration frames and first set of lights into the first channel and then just the next set of lights into channel 2 etc  DSS uses the one set of calibration frames for each channel.

You only need to register the calibrated light subs, all it does is line everything up ready to stack.

You then register the resultant stacks to each other ready to combine to make a colour image.

This should be the same no matter what software you use.

I think groups in DSS are for this

First group should contain all files needed for first channel. Subsequent groups should have the same, but if any calibration files are missing - they will be reused from first group (like bias / dark)

At least I think so :D

The way I used to do it when I used DSS was register all my ha lights, select the one with the highest score (best sub), right click and set as reference frame and stack. Then for every other set of lights (O111 etc) stack them but keep the reference frame open but unticked. 

This will align every set of subs so all your stacks are aligned to the same reference frame. 

Archived