Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Complete telescope beginner

I have been into astronomy for a while, But up until recently I have never had a telescope only a pair of binoculars. However as of a week ago I have inherited a telescope from a relative. To say i'm pleased is an understatement as I have been unable to afford to buy one. However the scope is a Skywatcher 200PDS and the mount is a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with a Synscan controller. It came with a 40mm plossl eyepiece and a 28mm multi coated eyepice and some fittings but no instructions.

As I have never had telescope before I don't know much about them apart from a a couple of weeks of basic research. I would like to use it for general observing and taking photos of both planets, DSOs if possible. if people have any tips or advice then  please say.

I have a few questions

1. Is this scope any good for photography

2. I have a nikon D80 DSLR camera apart from a T ring is there anything else I need to able to use it with the scope.

3. From looking online I see there is a vast array of accessories and lenses, filters etc (all completely over my head) apart from the two lenses i have already is there any other lenses, accessories I need or are recommended.

I won't bombard you all with lots of questions as I have plenty. So I think that will do for now.

Short answer, yes,yes,yes.

The telescope will be at the limit of the mount for DSO imaging but quite doable. Moon and planets should be great.

Possibly a remote shutter activator to avoid touching the camera, Barlow lens to increase the focal length for a larger image scale.

A shorter focal length eyepiece for higher magnification, a reasonably priced zoom such as the Seben 8mm-24mm unit would give you some idea of what the best magnifications are for your purposes.   ?

Hi and welcome to SGL!

The 200pds is a good 'scope for both observational and photographic astronomy (1).

(2) I am not sure about the SW 200pds, but I believe you can screw the T adapter straight onto the focus tube.

(3) A good quality barlow (tele-extender) are useful. A 2x lens would turn your 40mm into a 20mm and your 28mm into a 14mm.

Thanks for all the advice guys.  Helen thank you for the link. After having a read on this very forum I have purchased the Making every photon count book as it seem to be highly recommended.  I have been having a play with it but only indoors as I live in the city with no outside space, But as soon as we get some clear skies I will venture out into the sticks and have a proper play

Archived