SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

But what a smudge!

dannybgoode

Last night was effectively first proper light for my TMB 105/f.62 LZOS and also my Vixen HR 2.4mm had shown up as well and given the weather during the day I was very excited.  Got home, got the mount set up - had to use my trusty SW150P to align etc and had a quick go on M42 and M45 to check all was working as it should. Unfortunately where I am (north Sheffield) there was some very thin but persistent high cloud which coupled with the moon did wash things out a bit.  I was also experimenting with setting up on my lawn (artificial turf is the future - bone dry and no mud whatsoever :) ).  This has the advantage of largely shielding me from the surrounding houses and gives me access to much more western sky but with the disadvantage of a streetlight right at the end of the garden.  It is somewhat obscured by its own pole but not ideal.

Anyway,. M42 was distinct enough working very wide field with my ES MaxVision 24mm 2" 82 degree but M45 was odd - like I had double vision with each start displaying a ghost very close by.  Not important I thought - I wasn't sticking with the 150P so tried to mount the TMB but managed to shove the mount out of alignment - whoops.  Oh well, was very keen to start with the Moon anyway and test that 2.4mm!  a quick shove to get him into view and started off as always with a nice widefield view in the 24mm.

There's something about this EP and scope combo that's growing on me.  Such a sense of depth and contrast - the moon just hanging there in inky blackness but with the topography completely apparent and such exquisite detail.  A real 3d sphere as well - could stare for hours just at this view and pretend I'm an Apollo astronaut heading to the moon.  And (unsurprisingly I guess) no CA whatsoever; none, zilch.  OK - straight to the 2.4mm, no messing with interim steps.  At first I couldn't get focus until I realised the very minimal amount of focus range to get anything visible but even with no 10:1 it was straight forward enough.  The focuser on the original TMB's are beasts but do allow for very subtle adjustments.  Just a shame seeing was pretty poor - lots of disturbance in the air with the lunar features drifting in and out of focus. However, when the air was still and focussed on Gassendi - wow, so much detail and texture to the crater and the light reflecting off the three central rocks was captivating.  A bit more general lunar surfing and I decided I may as well realign the mount so back out with the SW150P.

Once star alignment was done (now such a trivial task - why did I used to completely fail at it in the past?!) and back on with the TMB and this time kept everything nicely aligned so started off with M42 again.  By now it really was quite washed out but with the awesome contrast of the optics I could still see some nebulosity.  Decided to try the trapezium and started off with my Antares SW 4.9mm.  I could see the 4 main stars but the seeing was still quite nasty at high power and I couldn't quite hit critical focus.  I tried the 2.4mm but that was just too much for the conditions (it was an unstable, unresolved blob) so I swung around to M45.  Which, as with the 150P was odd - still got double vision on it - can only assume it was something to do with the amount of moisture in the high atmosphere coupled with the lunar lighting.  Will revisit on a better night.

Then for a target I hadn't tried before - M31.  Given the lighting conditions (both the moon and the afore mentioned streetlight) I was expecting to see it but using the 2" 24mm there is was. OK it was just a dull smudge but what a smudge!  My first view of another galaxy, 1 trillion stars in my eyepiece, photons hitting my scope which are millions of years old and have travelled untold distances - quite astonishing and totally blown away.  I will certainly spend more time on it and try a different position in the garden (or just shielding my viewing spot with a garden umbrella) and I will also make the effort to head to a dark site I have access but never use.

From there I decide to make use of the SynScan app's 'Tonight's Best' feature - M44 was first up, just beautiful.  Pin sharp and again the combo of the 24mm 2" and TMB are a match made in heaven for widefield DSO's.  Again lighting and seeing didn't help but plenty of stars were visible and it was very pretty.  Then M34 - a first for me ande again not perfect but plenty of detail and the stars that were visible was just beautiful.  A short slew then to the double cluster - lots to see here and have I mentioned how much I love the 24mm/TMB combo yet!  Perfect visual pairing and just such a wide view putting the main target in to some context but not losing any sharpness to the edges.  And the contrast of a good frac - not experienced it before!

Thought I'd finish on a high so tried my luck with Mars - it was there and it was discernible but his position coupled with the seeing meant he wasn't much more than a red blob.  Then for a giggle I thought I'd try Uranus - another first for me and to my surprise he was there with just a hint of colour.  The 2.4mm proved too again for the seeing but he was pin sharp if very tiny in the 4.9mm.  Still, a first is a first!

I then ended a very enjoyable session - quite my most enjoyable session I've ever had in fact - back where I started.  On the moon with Gassendi and the 2.4mm. , The sky had stabilised a little and I just got lost in the detail.  I then moved to the Jura Mountains and the juxtaposition with Sinus Iridum - not something I had studied at high magnification. It really does look like a bay of water lapping up against some great cliffs and the light and shadow of the face of the Jura was quite something - definitely a target I will be returning to.  A quick play around with different eyepieces - the ES MaxVision 16mm is a nice thing as well.  Can fit the whole moon in on the 650mm focal length of the TMB and again the detail and contrast is epic - the FOV doesn't quite allow the hanging in space view of the 24mm but it is still a sight worth lingering on.

So, what are my thoughts on the TMB.  Out of this world.  Now admittedly I haven't looked through any other fracs and I am sure there are many that are just as capable and at a better price but its just such a thing to use and the optics are perfect.  No CA on anything at all, massive contrast - the sky just disappears leaving your brain free to concentrate of the target, no bloating - nothing.  Just stunning views of whatever you point it at.

And the Vixen HR 2.4mm.  It held up very well given the seeing and gave me views of things I didn't think were possible when I started out 4 or so years ago.  With still skies this thing is going to be awesome :)

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Great stuff Danny. Imagine what it will be like on a good night!

Out of interest, why do you have to align using the 150P? Can't you do it with the TMB?

Simply because I don’t have a finder yet for the TMB and I darent sully it’s appearance with a Telrad. 

Its so quick with the 150P with Telrad at the moment it’s the best way I can do it. 

Archived