Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

Finally got my first chance this year (this winter in fact) to get the scope out.
With the moon being out in full glory I decided to have a shot at this instead.

I was suprised just how quick it was moving compared to others I had photographed in the past, and took a bit of figuring out to get an exposure that I was happy with.

1601389074_c2018yy1iwamoto.thumb.png.fa0886556da4993d08a256c7cd82c414.png

1755412956_L_C_2018Y1(Iwamoto)2nd_2019-02-14_22-50-08_30s_ISO800__14C_0090_pipp.thumb.gif.85c53b1b69a77e349170706ce28b705d.gif

• Like 11

Exposure details?How did you process this? DSS??? Great images btw...

Alan

Great work, cant have been easy given it's speed.  

Thanks everyone

These are all 30s shots, I originally tried 120s and 60s but both gave too much trailing.
Shot with a 600D using a 130PDS on a HEQ5 Mount.

Stacking took place in DSS and then processed with PI and photoshop, I have also found that anything over about 30s also results in dots rather than trails. I have another using 120s subs but did not like the dots
The animation was done by processing the first image and then replicating the settings to the other raw files. These then got brought into PiPP and cropped / joined to create the final result.

I had attempted to stack for both the stars and the comet however I think there was either too few frames or the comet was moving too quick.