SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Its a record !

Saganite

For the third night in a row I used my 12" OOVX to seek out that elusive Rille in the Alpine Valley, a challenge that has has been mentioned on the forum recently, but a challenge I confess I have not tackled before. The seeing was pretty good here last night, and I found the views of Clavius, Tycho, and all around that area sharp and bright and a joy to see, but Copernicus at 397x was  just exhilarating , pin sharp and showing the beautiful terracing and the peaks and the contrast between the smoothness and the roughness of the crater floor. When I then moved over to the Alpine Valley and to Plato, I found to my surprise that the Rille and the Craterlets were not readily apparent.

I changed eyepieces ( sorry I forgot to mention that I was binoviewing) to 12.5 mm Ultimas (318x) and immediately the view was a bit more stable and seemed to improve things, to the extent that sections of the Rille appeared intermittently , but it was not until I switched to 18mm Ultimas, (220x) that I felt really at ease with the view and settled down to observe. Over the next hour or so, I saw no more of the Rille than perhaps 2/3 rds of it and then not consistently, but I did manage 7 craterlets, which for me, is a new record.

Archived