Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lakeside focusing issue

For back lash compensation I bring the focus to as close as possible in until it holds a thin piece of paper, then I move it out 10 steps at a time until the paper falls, that movement I regards as my backlash compensation and with Lakeside motors and with all my focusers it is between 40 and 90 units.

For V curves have a watch of @RayD's focusing with SGP, it really does make calculating the steps count so easy.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Jkulin said:

For back lash compensation I bring the focus to as close as possible in until it holds a thin piece of paper, then I move it out 10 steps at a time until the paper falls, that movement I regards as my backlash compensation and with Lakeside motors and with all my focusers it is between 40 and 90 units.

For V curves have a watch of @RayD's focusing with SGP, it really does make calculating the steps count so easy.

Ok that's a very interesting way of finding the backlash compensation. Going to try this out now... Cheers for the top tip mate :)

16 minutes ago, symmetal said:

You should be able to test it indoors. With your original backlash setting just tell it to focus out by 100 or so and watch the fine focus knob. It should show a small movement in the in direction at the end of its outward travel which means its taken up the backlash OK. :smile:

Alan

Going to fire up the laptop now and will test :)

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I recall the guy at Lakeside telling me that backlash wasn't critical as long as you had some.

Dave

Yes having it set too high just wastes some time during focusing out. If your focuser is close to the out limit it might 'hit' the end stop during backlash comp if set unnecessarily high. :smile:

Alan

22 minutes ago, symmetal said:

That's good news souls. What do you have the backlash set to at the moment?

Alan

Originally it was set to 100 but then I changed it to 300 just to be on the safe side but that didn't make any difference so now its back to 100.

21 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

I recall the guy at Lakeside telling me that backlash wasn't critical as long as you had some.

Dave

That's correct Dave, I remember you telling me that once and if I recall you said as long as it's higher than the actual backlash so kept it at 100 to be on the safe side with Star 71 and now Esprit 100 too. 

6 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

So what was the problem, did you have a screw loose :grin:

At least it's Friday, well Saturday now.

Dave

Hehehehe yes... But to tell you a secret, I have a bad reputation amongst some of my Facebook friends... You just have to say Ahmed and his three screws and they'll tell you the saga :D I'll spare you the boring bits but it was apparently WSC selling me a mount which didn't have 3 screws at the counter weight shaft puck which made the Dec axis stiff. That wasn't the funny bit, what's really funny was that it took WSC 3 months to put some screws my mouth... Rest assured, I've never taken my business there ever again :D

Archived