Narrowband

Gazing Doubles - Live Report

iPeace

18 minutes ago, iPeace said:

Tegmen/Tegmine - a challenge with this aperture, the 1.6mm HR shows three stars, but doesn't quite separate the two closest ones.

Finally saw this as a triple for the first time! Took 300x with the 4mm circle T Ortho to get it though. The close pair just looked like a fatter star previously. Very happy with that :D 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, iPeace said:

DSC_2308.thumb.JPG.9311a581c502606b36f508fbdc76c4b8.JPG

Just a bit of fun, let's see how this goes.

Main scope is a 600/85 APO frac.

Start with Almach: gorgeous gold and blue with the 4mm DeLite.

Hi Mike. Very enjoyable thread. I was wondering which model Berlebach tripod is that?

Lovely reports Mike. I love observing doubles. They can be enjoyed even when the moon is bright, as now, and in less than ideal conditions. I tend to divide my time between those that are just beautiful to look at; Iota Cancri and Beta Monocerotis  from your list for example, and those that present a challenge either because of magnitude or a small separation. Unlike you though, I ‘cheat’ and use Sky Safari and goto.

I can’t really explain it, but a get a real thrill from seeing, for example, a close matched pair with similar magnitudes. Takes all sorts ?

I’ll revisIt some of your targets next time - thanks. 

Kerry

49 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

have you tried using the altaz setting circles shown on the mount with something like SkySafari to find targets?

I use SkySafari to organize lists of targets and to locate stuff - but I've never bothered with aligning the mount to the heavens. I just plonk it down and use a RDF to get in the general area of the target, followed by comparing the view through a wide-angle eyepiece to that in SkySafari to make star-hopping efficient. With the setup pictured, the Borg 71FL is my posh RACI finder with giant RDF, Baader correct-image prism and Baader Polaris illuminated crosshair eyepiece, precisely aligned with the main observing scope, the TV-85. Thus, the main scope can remain focused at higher power during hops.

The obvious assumption being: if I can't use a Borg 71FL to find what I'd like to observe, I should probably be playing the piano instead. :happy11:

It's fun this way; I keep learning to recognize and find my way around particular bits of sky.

11 hours ago, iPeace said:

Inside for some warmth and nourishment, scopes still out but I think I've had my lot for tonight. :icon_biggrin:

Will pop out to bring the gear in. Thanks all.

That was a very interesting and productive session Mike. :smiley:

I have not seen most of those doubles.

14 hours ago, iPeace said:

DSC_2308.thumb.JPG.9311a581c502606b36f508fbdc76c4b8.JPG

Just a bit of fun, let's see how this goes.

Main scope is a 600/85 APO frac.

Start with Almach: gorgeous gold and blue with the 4mm DeLite.

Nice one Mike !

My wife just walked into my office and saw me drooling over the mechanism for raising the mount, ( you must let me know what it is), and said Ah, something else you must have I suppose.

That is permission if ever I heard it. Nuff said........:evil6:

2 hours ago, iPeace said:

I use SkySafari to organize lists of targets and to locate stuff - but I've never bothered with aligning the mount to the heavens. I just plonk it down and use a RDF to get in the general area of the target, followed by comparing the view through a wide-angle eyepiece to that in SkySafari to make star-hopping efficient. With the setup pictured, the Borg 71FL is my posh RACI finder with giant RDF, Baader correct-image prism and Baader Polaris illuminated crosshair eyepiece, precisely aligned with the main observing scope, the TV-85. Thus, the main scope can remain focused at higher power during hops.

The obvious assumption being: if I can't use a Borg 71FL to find what I'd like to observe, I should probably be playing the piano instead. :happy11:

It's fun this way; I keep learning to recognize and find my way around particular bits of sky.

Pretty much what I do, but I was thinking of the all-to-often nights with bright moonlight, haze, partial cloud etc etc when a bit of direction might be helpful.

Chris

Archived