Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

cloudsweeper

Philolaus And Gassendi On Terminator Look Good Even Now

Ever keen to get stared, I set up the ED80 Apo along with the 8SE on the Skytee, to see what was on show on the Moon.  Surprisingly good, considering it's only 4.50pm.  

Philolaus (a continuation of the Archimedes - Plato line) looked good, sitting on the terminator surrounded by highland detail.  Moving to the opposite end of the terminator, Gassendi was also clear - two of its central peaks could be easily made out, and the smaller crater abutting it to the north looked a bit like a cartoon ear.

Worth taking a look even while it's still quite light.  And you never know when it'll cloud over!

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper
  • Like 3

Thank you you're right. Sod it. It's Friday. - P.O.E.T.S. day!.

Yes, another clear night, what's going on?!  Not quite as good as last night but the Moon is putting on a good show. Gassendi, one of my favourite craters is well placed and showing excellent floor detail. Plato's craterlets are much easier to see for some reason but no Alpine Valley rille.  Companion to Rigel and Trapezium E & F easy again, interesting to use a zoom eyepiece to see these elusive stars come and go if the magnification is too much or too little, about 350x seemed best on this occasion. ?

Well, my last sentence was prophetic.  Went out again after a meal to see a hazy Moon, no Orion's sword, and a bit later no Orion.

Thank goodness for the Moon, but I would like to see something else as well!

Glad you're getting some night action Peter.  Round here, it's been lovely clear late afternoons only!

Doug.

Philolaus certainly caught the eye with a shadow interrupting the rim and the mountain ridge running south from it making it appear as if it was an unravelling coil. Gassendi was terrific as well, with lots of floor detail. 

I also enjoyed Schiller, Hainzel, the bright ridge on the terminator side of Mare Humorum that starts with Liebig Scarp goes faint but then joins up with Gassendi, the top of an infilled crater near to Maestlin that was casting some jagged shadows onto Oceanus Procellarum, the Harbinger Mountains and J. Herschel. J. Herschel was fantastic, appearing like some gigantic motte and bailey.

Disappointingly the clouds arrived just before Krieger was about to be revealed.

• Like 1