Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

red images

hi guys, so many questions, I bought a 2nd hand modified dslr that also has a clip in lp filter fitted, everything  deep sky image I take is red, and the moon is pink, is this the modified camera or the lp filter thats producing that?

I am aware that it's modified for infra red I just didn't expect the whole thing to be red.... I'm confused ?

thanks jon 

Perhaps your Canon 300D is 'full spectrum' modified ?

There is a range of modifications to Canon DSLR's, removing the original filters in front of the sensor and possibly replacing with filters with higher pass filters to extend the range for astro or daylight infrared.   Spend some time on Gary Honis's pages, I am sure he modified 300D's way back then.  (EDIT: try this page for starters ? )

You may be able to adjust the white balance in the camera or processing software.

9 hours ago, Mick J said:

Perhaps your Canon 300D is 'full spectrum' modified ?

There is a range of modifications to Canon DSLR's, removing the original filters in front of the sensor and possibly replacing with filters with higher pass filters to extend the range for astro or daylight infrared.   Spend some time on Gary Honis's pages, I am sure he modified 300D's way back then.  (EDIT: try this page for starters ? )

You may be able to adjust the white balance in the camera or processing software.

hi, ye ill check it out thanks, this camera is a canon 550d though not a 300d, I will have a look . ?

I should think much the same applies, early Canon cameras had a one piece filter that was often replaced with clear glass to protect the sensor and maintain focus, newer cameras the filter is in two parts, remove one for increase to red light remove both for full spectrum (infrared) - that's my understanding and ...........

Great link from @wxsatuser 

Do you know what the clip in filter is ? 

I've been messing about with it all morning lol.... the white balance is set to auto?? the clip in light pollution filter is skytech cls-ccd......

the person I bought if from left an sd card in the camera, its got lots of images on it and none of them are red... frustrating!

That is correct for a modded camera and AWB.

What you got to do is take a photo of a white sheet of paper in sunlight around midday with AWB.
Once you have that photo you need to go to menu Custom White Balance and chose that photo.
Once set take another photo of the paper, if done right the paper should be grey in the new photo.

BTW check to see if there is a CWB photo on the SD card, there might be one.

2 hours ago, wxsatuser said:

That is correct for a modded camera and AWB.

What you got to do is take a photo of a white sheet of paper in sunlight around midday with AWB.
Once you have that photo you need to go to menu Custom White Balance and chose that photo.
Once set take another photo of the paper, if done right the paper should be grey in the new photo.

BTW check to see if there is a CWB photo on the SD card, there might be one.

Yes Ive been reading about that thankyou! Im going to try that once im more experienced.I've since taken out the lp filter to just see, and the moon is now back to normal. Hopefully I'm going to try it out tonight all being well. The redness was definitely the filter. But im unsure why??? 

Ye thanks. It's definitely red on the street lamps etc but not on orion. The sky remains black around it. But for me the whole sky was red including stars.... ?

I've taken it out and had a much more satisfying night tonight. Although all my images are still rubbish at least they're not red/pink ?

Archived