Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horsehead and Flame - sunglasses please

Barry-Wilson

I think Valentine's Day must have gone to my head and I have let the splendid abundant colour of this icon image shine through.  I have tamer versions but I thought, what the heck.

I wish I had the weather in south Devon to have captured this but have had very few clear nights since October 2018, so I am doubly pleased to have made the investment (time, effort as well as £) at e-Eye.

Details:

• Tak FS106 at F5
  • 10 Micron GM1000HPS
  • QSI683wsg-8 with Astrodon filters
  • 26 hours integration - Ha 24 x 1200s; Lum 36 x 600s; RGB 24 x 600s each channel
  • e-Eye, Spain
  • Joint set up owned and operated by Steve Milne & me

B33_HH_LumHaRGB_1.thumb.jpg.7d13b3aadbb0326bbb20c1efe124bdc8.jpg

6 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Very eye catching image Barry, my favourite bit of HH images is the clouds and wall of gas behind it, caught it nicely.

Dave

Thanks Dave - I know it is bright, but thought the colour needed a celebration as Spring is on the way - saw crocus beginning to flower this morning ?.

5 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

Wow, that is wonderful Barry.  Well done.

Much appreciated Steve.

4 hours ago, alan4908 said:

Very impressive Barry, particularly the star colours which are magnificent. 

What is your processing technique for the stars when they are embedded in red nebulosity ?

Alan

Thanks Alan.  Good question that has prompted me to record my steps as I process Messier 81 for a tutorial for my SmugMug website, including bespoke mask creation.  Hope to get it up over the weekend.

For star processing and boosting colour see PI tutorial on star colour boost, however for mixing Ha and controlling stars I do insert additional steps over and above the steps needed for adding the Ha.  The Ha is always added in the non-linear stage.

With a good star mask protecting the HaRGB image, I sometimes use PixelMath to replace the stars using the RGB strectched image.  Ha can do odd things to the stars - sometimes add a pinkish/magenta hue to the core or create a blue-ish gradient within the star's halo.  Replacing the star afterwards can help - caution though, it can make it worse.  I reduce star size in the stretched Ha image before combining.

I have also added the Ha in iterations with increasing percentage.  So, use the MultiChannelSunthesis script with say 50% Ha; then replace the stars with the RGB-only stars; then add more Ha and repeat.

I have also used the split the RGB stack into the individual colour channels (after colour calibration and stretching) and use the PixelMath formula: Max(Red_Channel, Ha_Image).  Works very similarly to the MultiChannelSynthesis script (which is still available on the web for import btw).

I sometime combine the two HaRGB / R(Ha)GB outputs from the MultiChannelSynthesis script as well if the Ha needs 'pinking up'.  However, great care is needed as the stars can take on a distinct blue halo.

I experiment and the technique used will depend on the target and what works best, depending on the quality of the data, Ha strength, RGB data etc.

HTH.

4 hours ago, Craney said:

Phoar !! ..... I'm in love with Astrodons.......  one day ....................................................

I originally used the Baader filters and I did initially think that the Astrodons produced more refined colours when I first switched - however I am not sure now having not processed Baader-produced data for such a long time; whether it was simply my processing ability at the time, who knows.  The Astrodon's did have the competitive edge for narrowband filters and being 3 mm thick (the Baaders are 2 mm thick) there can be issues with back focus spacing at fast F numbers if you mix filter brands that have different thicknesses.  Thus many people switch completely to one brand, but not exclusively so.  The new Baader NB filters look very interesting at a great price point and I look forward to seeing results.

? what did Mrs Wilson put in your tea while you were processing this??!! Call me old fashioned, but you’ve found the line and taken a step over it with this one! I would love to see one of the ‘calmer’ versions. The detail is great, but the colours look ‘plastic’ to me. It reminds me of the 3D specs requiring comics!

On 15/02/2019 at 14:04, Barry-Wilson said:

I think Valentine's Day must have gone to my head and I have let the splendid abundant colour of this icon image shine through.  I have tamer versions but I thought, what the heck.

I wish I had the weather in south Devon to have captured this but have had very few clear nights since October 2018, so I am doubly pleased to have made the investment (time, effort as well as £) at e-Eye.

Details:

• Tak FS106 at F5
  • 10 Micron GM1000HPS
  • QSI683wsg-8 with Astrodon filters
  • 26 hours integration - Ha 24 x 1200s; Lum 36 x 600s; RGB 24 x 600s each channel
  • e-Eye, Spain
  • Joint set up owned and operated by Steve Milne & me

B33_HH_LumHaRGB_1.thumb.jpg.7d13b3aadbb0326bbb20c1efe124bdc8.jpg

Awesome Barry. Thankfully i always keep my sunglasses handy ?

And FWIW, this is one of those few targets that i personally feel justifies a more OTT approach, so i'm all for this! It's such a vibrant object, so why not crank it up and show it off? 

You know when to dial it up, as well as down. Top work as always! ?

ps - The only part of the image that gives me pause for thought is the Flame. I'm used to seeing it a little more Yellowy/Orangey. Whether or not that's right i've no idea. 

On 16/02/2019 at 16:49, PhotoGav said:

? what did Mrs Wilson put in your tea while you were processing this??!! Call me old fashioned, but you’ve found the line and taken a step over it with this one! I would love to see one of the ‘calmer’ versions. The detail is great, but the colours look ‘plastic’ to me. It reminds me of the 3D specs requiring comics!

Very subjective isn't it?  I personally like the red streamers behind the Horsehead very much.

I really like how Barry has managed to keep Alnitak under control in this image and the level of detail right up close to such a bright star.

1 hour ago, Ola Skarpen said:

Very nice picture

Thanks Ola!

9 hours ago, Jarvo said:

Loving the colour. Never tire of seeing this object. Fantastic work. 

Jarvo

I'm the same - it is for me the iconic astro image.

On 20/02/2019 at 18:56, peter shah said:

Thats a bit good Barry.... superb delicate detail in the HH itself and I love the way you have handled Alnitak

Cheers Peter.

10 hours ago, stepping beyond said:

Splendid amount of detail , abundant amount of nebulosity and the colors just "ROCK". Well done , awesome !

Got to celebrate 'colour' from time to time!

Archived