Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Request for Data - The Headphones Nebula

PhotoGav

In my recent attempt at imaging The Headphones Nebula / Jones-Emberson 1 / PK 164+31.1, I discovered that it is an extremely faint and diffuse target. My data set is thin and noisy, so I am on the hunt for similar data sets that you lovely SGLers would be happy to share with me, please. My pixel scale is 0.75"/px, so I am looking for data from set-ups in that ballpark. If you have data that you would like to share with this project, please let me know.

I am after calibrated (darks, flats & bias) single subs in filters: R, G, B, Ha & OIII.

Thank you and I look forward to a torrent of data....!

I started on it a week or so ago, only ten subs so far. 

Atik 460, OO VX10 @f/4.8, OIII, 600s at bin x2. It's so faint in OIII, I was thinking it would end up being a multi year project.  Happy to share data if it allows both of us to get an image more quickly. 

Drop me a PM and we'll work something out. 

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

A little update...

Thank you to @Starflyer, @martin_h & @swag72, who all replied and have donated some data to the cause. I have had a play today with what I have so far in the way of Ha, which is a total of 26 hours and 20 minutes.

First up, here's my original stack of 18 x 1800s = 9 hours of Ha:

Gavin_Stacked_Ha-St.thumb.png.00dac61be050b966e2512bd3ab673eca.png

And here is the stack of 26 hours and 20 minutes of Ha from the group:

Stacked_Ha_Gavin_Ian_Martin_Sara_26hrs_20mins-mod-lpc-St.png.eda1aca4f53d719c802c6e36a448c798.png

There is obviously a marked improvement in terms of signal brightness. However, the file size is much smaller as two thirds of the data was binned 2x2. I am amazed at how noisy the data is still, despite all the hours. I have run one iteration of Noel's Deep Space Noise Reduction on the group image, but no noise reduction on my image!

I am still hoping for more data, so if you have any subs of this target at this kind of pixel scale, please get in touch!

Once I have all of Sara's data donation I will have a play with different stacking approaches and combinations of data to see if I can improve on this. It certainly proves that more data is better though!

Archived