Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

This might see like a silly question but I just wondered what you guys do when transporting your telescope around.  Do you just throw (not literally!) everything into the boot or do you carefully wrap it up or use a purpose bought storage bag? 

I plan to take my kit up to our caravan which is in a darker sky area.  Obviously I will check collimation etc when I set up at the other end but does moving stuff around in the car do much damage to the mirrors? 

Thanks, 

Deb 

You could pack it back in its original packaging, which is designed to resist the rough handling of sullen minimum-wage courier employees.

But I realise many people will discard the packaging.  I pack my C8 for travel in two plastic crates, with bubblewrap and expanded polystyrene packaging, with the tripod left unpackaged.  Transit cases are available for SCTs, but they are rather expensive.

AFAIK, some people transport their Dobs unpacked without harm.

The mirrors are the last thing likely to be damaged. 

Hello Deb.

I assume you mean to transport an SW130 newt - from your username.

Tubes of that sort of size and much larger, I would put on the back seat, wearing a seatbelt of course.

If the seat is not available, then in the boot wrapped in something to cushion against shock.
An old coat, travel rug, bubble wrap, almost anything.

Just make sure you don't drop a big lump of mount and tripod on top if you choose the boot!

Hope this helps, David.

Hi Deb!

I have purchased a soft case to protect my telescope and a hard case for all accessories. I often transport the scope in  my car and always store it in the back seat, usually I even use the seat belt to secure it in its place. 😁 

I recommend getting a case. It will help you to preserve your telescope in good condition! I haven’t had issues with collimation so far, although my scope is a Schmidt-Cassegrain, not a Newtonian.

My OTA is to too long for back seat, it goes into the boot. I wrap in up in an old duvet then jam it against the wheel arches with cushions to stop it rolling about.  The roads here can be quite bad but to date have had no problems transporting scope. 

If I was you I would try and find a padded case for your scope. My rerfractor has it's own flight case protects it very well indeed.

My 8" reflector travels in the box it came in. I use the three polystyrene cradles underneath the tube and one over the mirror end. The tube rings and focuser prevent the use of the remaining two upper cradles that were originally holding the tube. I remove the finderscope and put it in the bottom of the box at the side of the tube. Due to the size of the box, I put the back seat down in the car and put the box into the boot. The secondary mirror collimation is fine travelling like this and I always check/tweak the primary mirror after setting up.

I bought an aluminium case with foam insert for my 100mm refractor.

My 8" SCT travels on the back seat, attached with a seatbelt.   This is with Guide scope and other things attached.   I'd love to have something to store it in, but it's simply not a nice shape to be able to store.   It's worth unplugging any cables that could get broken

12" Dob (1200fl) fits nicely across the back seats of the car.

My refractor had its own case and was safe and secure in there.

Accessories and other gear all go in the trunk.

This might sound a little morbid, but a local friend of mine is selling his old first call hearse. It has tons of space, can be customized, and is quite inexpensive! Kit would be very easy to pull in and out and would keep my gear secure and protected from the weather! I can carry all my gear safely and comfortably! I live on a large farm, so have many things to haul! Much better than a pickup truck or car!

BE9F957F-6F0F-4A10-A91E-5AF6108B083A.jpeg

Edited by Greg6498
Add to.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have cases or padded bags for most things, worse case anything larger is wrapped in a duvet or two. Mirrors are normally fairly well protected but tubes are easily dented by mounts or other hard/heavy kit.

My 8 inch dob tube gets wrapped in a duvet across the back seat and is seat belted in. The base is an Orion Optics one and is small enough to go in the boot. 

All of my Fracs have flight cases. 

Mounts tend to go in the rear footwells in pieces. 

Sportsdirect offered the answer to my low-budget transportation needs ☺

My first scope was a SW 90mm refractor, and that fitted perfectly in a hockey stick bag rolled in bubble wrap. With the addition of a 150 frac, I upgraded to a cricket kit bag, lined with 2" foam. It is quite sturdy and has wheels (although I don't use them!) My EQ5 fits in a nondescript middle-sized sports bag, and the tripod goes in a long bag which came with a folding garden chair. 

As previously mentioned, careful packing in between kit is a must, with the greatest risk normally a dent to the OTA. 

I was wondering about transportation too, I have a mak127. I enquired about the aluminium cases on FLO, the only one they stock that would be close is for a mak150. The form inserts would have too large a hole in it to be suitable. Does anyone else have a mak127 and could offer some alternatives? Crates and bubble wrap sounds OK as I would only be transporting via car. I still have the original packaging so that is still an option, it was destined for the recycling tip but I might keep hold of it now. 

As you still have the original packing I would think a suitable size toolbox with the packing inside would make a good case for your mac.