SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Valentines Moon 14th Feb

baggywrinkle

A second night in the observatory, not bad for the UK.

A waxing Moon at 9 days. As usual the whole shot a mosaic of 5 pics from the canon 650D and then the more detailed shots using the Altair Astro 178C CCD camera, 1000 frames and then the best 250-300 stacked.

All shot on the Meade 12" which as I get used to it is provong a beaut of a telescope giving great resolution.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/165584972@N02/albums/72157706679472055

My longer handset cable also arrived from Scopestuff in the US. Makes a huge difference to being able to mover around the mount without fear of pulling the cable out.

Meade? Why are you such cheapskates on the small but important things?

18_55_23 Archimedes.jpg

18_58_16 Plato_Alpine Valley.jpg

19_00_17 Mare Nubium.jpg

19_05_05 Archimedes.jpg

19_07_57 Plato.jpg

Moon 9 days.jpg

Very nice images Frank! I particularly like the image of the Alpine Valley, as when its enlarged a little, it shows the central rille running along the valley length as it appears visually in my FC100DC. Not as a dark line as many imagine it looks,  but as a broken white line. Also, the view shows Elgers rille which runs across the valley width and into the mountains at either side. This is often overlooked visually but is an easy rille to see. It's also interesting when lighting allows, to trace Elgers rille as it traverses the mountains all the way to the shores of Frigoris, dividing and twisting along the way. Excellent! :thumbsup:

Archived