SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Iwamoto- success stories?

Hi. I tried unsuccessfully with baader zoom on 127 mm mak. Used sky safari pro linked to synscan to goto. I backtested by goto to regulus, and this was pretty much centred in fov. So, I can report nothing obvious leapt out. The photons may have hit my retina, but I'll never know. ??

Did anyone else see it tonight? 

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I spent 1 1/2 hours tonight tracing this comet down. I star hopped via Iota Cancri which btw is a wonderful double star to Nu Cancri and then to the exact spot where both my planetarium software programs say the comet is. Appartently it's mag 10 now so with my sky conditions I think it's out of my reach.

With a little averted vision and intense looking I did see some mottling of the background but not enough to say I saw it for sure.

Will have to wait until the moons gone and maybe the comet is a little higher in the sky and try again.

1 minute ago, markclaire50 said:

Hi Dave. I Suspect I should have used my 80ed frac tonight instead. 

It's not particularly bright so easy to miss especially now the Moons out, I resorted to imaging it with DSLR and using the image to find it with bin's.

Dave

I got it (eventually) last night with my 102mm refractor when it was in the same FoV as galaxy NGC 2903 and later (when the cloud thinned) with 11x70 and 8x56 binoculars. I'm going to have another go with the 102mm refractor in a moment. I believe it's started to dim a little now.

Ok - just picked it up again with the 102mm refractor. It's in the same low to medium power field of view as the star Nu Cancri right now. A little fainter than last night perhaps and quite a diffuse object so it can be overlooked. A pale roughly circular patch of faint light with a slightly more condensed centre. I was using 30x-60x magnification.

1 hour ago, John said:

It's in the same low to medium power field of view as the star Nu Cancri right now.

According to Stellarium it's in the same field of view as Zubanah ?

Dave

Figured out Stellarium was ahead of it, switched off tracking and it hove into view very faint and washed out by the Moon

57 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

According to Stellarium it's in the same field of view as Zubanah ?

Dave

Figured out Stellarium was ahead of it, switched off tracking and it hove into view very faint and washed out by the Moon

My version of Stellarium and also Cartes du Ciel put it close to Nu Cancri, which is where I found it.

I went about 11pm last night with my Apollo 15x70 binos. I noted that the Comet was near  Nu Cancri so that is where I started from. In the Binos the Comet was a diffused circular patch so I was pleased to pick it up despite the Moon.

I missed it the night before (very hazy sky) when it was close to NGC 2903 which is a pity.

20 hours ago, John said:

My version of Stellarium and also Cartes du Ciel put it close to Nu Cancri, which is where I found it.

Hi John. Which versions do you have? I tried downloading v4 CdC and v 18.3 stellarium but neither pulled out iwamoto in search. ?☹️ Thanks 

Mark 

2 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

Hi John. Which versions do you have? I tried downloading v4 CdC and v 18.3 stellarium but neither pulled out iwamoto in search. ?☹️ Thanks 

Mark 

Mark you may need to update your Stellarium with the latest Comet details. Each time a new Comet is discovered you must upload it. Some programmes like Sky Safari do this authomatically.

35 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Mark you may need to update your Stellarium with the latest Comet details. Each time a new Comet is discovered you must upload it. Some programmes like Sky Safari do this authomatically.

Hi Mark. Thanks. Interestingly my Sky safari pro 6 and my mobile observatory apps both show it in the position John found it last night by Nu Cancri. My sky safari app can also connect to my WiFi mount via synscan Pro and I was able to use SSaf P to goto comet. I'm sure it must have put the comet in fov, but I couldn't see it. As a test I used SSafP to goto sirius and rigel and it was pretty near centre. 

Anyway, are the versions of Stellarium and CdC I mentioned the latest versions? I couldn't see how to update with latest Comets. 

Thanks

Mark 

9 hours ago, John said:

I use Stellarium version 0.18.3 and Cartes du Ciel version 4.0-3575. I update the cometary data daily. Hope that helps.

Thanks John. I'm sure those are versions I downloaded last night. Mind you, I was suffering with a streaming cold, so mentally not exactly focused! I will look again to check versions and updating over weekend. 

Archived