Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where to go for observing?

How do you find these open and 'dark' sites that people go to for observing at night in the UK? Is there a directory of them somewhere? I'm interested in venturing out to somewhere that isn't surrounded by houses, but I have no idea where to go and what the protocol is, etc, etc.

Make enquiries as to any local Astronomy Clubs in your area,  they will have local knowledge on this and be glad to help.  For really great views you would need to get as far as possible from any major urban area.  I use a site approx 35 miles from my home.  Find a public spot to setup, avoid private land without permission.  Check your local Ordanace Survey map for suitable spots. Archeological sites in state care are usualy accessible.  Isolated state managed beauty spots may be accessible too.  Bring someone else along for company and safety as you may be out late at night in an isolated area.  Check phone coverage before setting up equipment. 

Good luck in your search. 

Archived