Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

chaz2b

I've spotted something interesting.

Okay, I don't have a HD map of the Moon, so presently I can't pin point what I've seen.

It was while I was observing earlier that I noticed a bright object that had quite a long shadow.

As it was near the terminator I expect that, however there is nothing near it or along that longitude that gives a similar length shadow.

I can only best describe it as two blocks of white,one bigger than the other, midway along the terminator, what struck me, was that the length of the shadow suggests it's quite tall, sort of colum shaped. That provoked a lot of interest to me. Nothing around it is remotely like it. I need to find the coordination so you can then check what I've seen.

if anyone more experienced can offer a identifier, please let me know, maybe a picture of it?

my apologies for not being able to provide more accurate details.

Chaz.

• Like 1

To me this screams high peak which is catching suns rays, I have seen this before, if a peak is high enough, it will catch rays while the surrounding area has already fallen into shadow, making it seem like a bright spot in a dark area.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

Can you say where it is on this map? Might help narrow it down a bit.

239E341A-C59C-4BDF-8104-4C8A6998307E.png

1 hour ago, chaz2b said:

I can only best describe it as two blocks of white,one bigger than the other, midway along the terminator

I was taking some shots of the moon earlier this evening when the sky was still quite light so the features you mention may not be as brightly lit in my picture as when you saw them  I've looked all along the terminator and arrowed what I think you might be referring to.  Hope this helps.

image.png.162cb366cb06d7d2d5f9674a7b9c4bd2.png

Nearly,but no, if you continue down about a third there is a small but dark crater, to the right of this is a white ....object, casting a long and pointed shadow. It was the fact it’s pointy that intrigued me, I don’t normally come across pointy boulders or rifts or whatever on the Moon!

moon base Alpha? Thanks for the pic though, I really need to try and get a picture myself, it’s not as if I’m without suitable cameras, I have five of them!

chaz.

I’m trying to orientate myself with both pics, are they reversed images? With Plato at the bottom? If so then the object left of Lambert is my object of intrigue.

using my Astro-Tech 90EDT coupled with my Tele-Vue binos, the object and shadow was very prominent, I couldn’t work out what it was I was seeing. I’ve just assumed that the moon is all boulders and dust, so seeing a pointy? feature.

chaz.

Looking in the 21century (photographic) Atlas of the Moon to the "left" of Lambert is Mt. La Hire which stands alone and proud of the floor of Mare Imbrium. Maybe as suggested this has caught the sun and stood out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mons_La_Hire