Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I've spotted something interesting.

Guest chaz2b

Okay, I don't have a HD map of the Moon, so presently I can't pin point what I've seen.

It was while I was observing earlier that I noticed a bright object that had quite a long shadow.

As it was near the terminator I expect that, however there is nothing near it or along that longitude that gives a similar length shadow.

I can only best describe it as two blocks of white,one bigger than the other, midway along the terminator, what struck me, was that the length of the shadow suggests it's quite tall, sort of colum shaped. That provoked a lot of interest to me. Nothing around it is remotely like it. I need to find the coordination so you can then check what I've seen.

if anyone more experienced can offer a identifier, please let me know, maybe a picture of it?

my apologies for not being able to provide more accurate details.

Chaz.

To me this screams high peak which is catching suns rays, I have seen this before, if a peak is high enough, it will catch rays while the surrounding area has already fallen into shadow, making it seem like a bright spot in a dark area.

1 hour ago, chaz2b said:

I can only best describe it as two blocks of white,one bigger than the other, midway along the terminator

I was taking some shots of the moon earlier this evening when the sky was still quite light so the features you mention may not be as brightly lit in my picture as when you saw them  I've looked all along the terminator and arrowed what I think you might be referring to.  Hope this helps.

image.png.162cb366cb06d7d2d5f9674a7b9c4bd2.png

Nearly,but no, if you continue down about a third there is a small but dark crater, to the right of this is a white ....object, casting a long and pointed shadow. It was the fact it’s pointy that intrigued me, I don’t normally come across pointy boulders or rifts or whatever on the Moon!

moon base Alpha? Thanks for the pic though, I really need to try and get a picture myself, it’s not as if I’m without suitable cameras, I have five of them!

chaz.

I’m trying to orientate myself with both pics, are they reversed images? With Plato at the bottom? If so then the object left of Lambert is my object of intrigue.

using my Astro-Tech 90EDT coupled with my Tele-Vue binos, the object and shadow was very prominent, I couldn’t work out what it was I was seeing. I’ve just assumed that the moon is all boulders and dust, so seeing a pointy? feature.

chaz.

• 1 month later...
On 15/02/2019 at 00:04, chaz2b said:

Okay, I don't have a HD map of the Moon, so presently I can't pin point what I've seen.

Chaz.

Hi Chaz,

I am a bit late posting on this thread, but this will help you in your future Lunar observations (if you have not found them already)

May I suggest you look at the following sites:

https://quickmap.lroc.asu.edu/?extent=-90,22.0265278,90,59.9479498&proj=10&layers=NrBsFYBoAZIRnpEoAsjZwLrc0A

http://cseligman.com/text/moons/moonmap.htm

And if you don't already have it.... Virtual Moon Atlas, a fantastic piece of work!      http://ap-i.net/avl/en/download

David B.

Archived