Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents.thumb.jpg.587637e0d01baf4b6d21b73610610bbb.jpg

Sunshine

Televue Panoptic

In anticipation of this coming season with my new Starmaster, i have been keeping my eyes peeled for good eyepieces. My goal is to have a few good eyepieces, i did notice upon using my 24mm Celestron Xcell LX that it just wouldn't cut it in the star master, i replaced it with the Televue 24mm Panoptic which i'm sure will be a better performer. Recently i also bought an 18mm APM ultra wide which i'm told APM's are solid performers, i am waiting on an ES 4.7 82 also, these 3 should be a good start on my adventure with this scope but, as we all know, you never know unless you try them. I do notice it has fairly short eye relief upon looking through it, have to get eyeball right in there to see field stops, not an issue, ill trim down my eyelashes lol.

IMG_5858.JPG

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 3

The 24 Panoptic is superb, Sunshine. I’m sure you’ll enjoy using it. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 24mm APM UFF has plenty of eye relief for eyeglass wearers, but it isn't as sharp to the edge as the Panoptic.  It is better than the 25mm Meade 5000 HD-60, but not miles better.

I've found the 30mm APM UFF to be better than the 27mm Panoptic except perhaps in terms of absolute focused star size.  Even then the 10% power difference makes the comparison difficult.  Otherwise, the APM is flatter of field, has markedly less chromatic aberration at the edge, is wider in terms of AFOV, and is easier to use with eyeglasses.  It is a bit heavier and longer, though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another big fan of the 24mm Panoptic here. I think I've owned 3 of them over the years :rolleyes2:

Hanging on to the one I have now though - lessons learned.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's a little gem that one.

Congratulations on getting one. :)

• Thanks 1

Another 24mm Panoptic fan here!

It isn’t the best corrected or the sharpest, but somehow the views are utterly charming.

Don’t try to objectively assess this eye piece. Just use it for an hour and if you aren’t smiling, there’s something wrong!😁

Paul

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Another 24mm Panoptic fan here!

It isn’t the best corrected or the sharpest, but somehow the views are utterly charming.

Don’t try to objectively assess this eye piece. Just use it for an hour and if you aren’t smiling, there’s something wrong!😁

Paul

I just wish it had enough eye relief for me to use with eyeglasses since it is such a nice eyepiece.  At that exit pupil size, my eye's astigmatism is raging making stars very spiky.

• Sad 1

I still have three 24mm Panoptics. :grin:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, iPeace said:

Thats quite the collection of one eyepiece, binocular viewing? (that would not explain the third) haha.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Thats quite the collection of one eyepiece, binocular viewing? (that would not explain the third) haha.

Every scope should have one of their own. :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, iPeace said:

Is this you @iPeace?

hqdefault.jpg

• Haha 2

Yes, the Pan24 is a lovely ep, but so is the ExSc 82 series 4.7, you will love them both.  Not tried the APM but have read good reports about them. 

• Like 1

I had ES 24/68 and loved it, replaced it with Pan 24 because its weight fit well with my fracs. 

Pan 24 has to be the sharpest tool ever produced by humans, razor sharp it is. 

• Like 3