Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Ross1204

Is it worth shooting the Horsehead with a 12nm H-Alpha clip in and 70% Moon phase.

Hello,

It is suppose to be clear tonight but thinking that at 70% Moon phase and it being close to the target is there any point?

Does anyone have any experience with shooting H-alpha with a similar set of circumstances?

Ross

Untitled.thumb.png.40839fd68392afa5cf011d931a90db8e.png

I'd say no but why not try it and find out practically. You can get amazing results when you least expect too.

Cheers,
Steve

12nm is really too wide for tonight as the Moon and Ned are in the same quadrant so I'd be shooting an object 180 degrees away to the north. AP is difficult enough without giving it a fair chance! 😁

Is there any point in imaging the Rosette Nebula then with a stock DSLR ? I understand it's a fair bit brighter than the HH Nebula?

2 hours ago, smr said:

Is there any point in imaging the Rosette Nebula then with a stock DSLR ? I understand it's a fair bit brighter than the HH Nebula?

Yes it comes out well but unless miles from the moon I’d forget about it. Sorry!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Yes it comes out well but unless miles from the moon I’d forget about it. Sorry!

Thanks. Yes I thought as much. I decided to image Bode's Galaxy and the Cigar Galaxy instead.

• Like 1

How did you get on?

With the moon that bight and close I'd think twice even with a 3nm filter.