Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_peoples_choice_2018_winners.thumb.jpg.d8ce9c6569dfc2f48814f6d87da46170.jpg

In the famous words of Bilbao Baggins, I'm going on an adventure!

Almost 2 years ago i got rid of my old shed with the intention of replacing it with a R O R shed, 
Well a lot has happened since then, but no R O R shed ūüė쬆No way i could build one, my DIY skills are rubbish.

My mount and scope plus other bits have sat in the garage ever since, mainly because it's such a pain to drag everything out and set up only to be thwarted by cloud/rain, so i decided that they would stay in the garage until the arrival of R O R shed,

so fast forward 2 years.....

Well! while browsing some astro sites i happened across an advertisement which said something like wooden observatory for sale, 7ft x 7.5ft, buyer to dismantle and remove, so me being in need of one had a look at the pictures he posted, that will do nicely i thought, so i contacted the seller and asked for more info and pictures,

It's not a roof that rolls off onto supports, it turns out 1/2 of the roof rolls over the other 1/2 with a front section of the shed that drops down,

I was happy with what i received from the seller, he couldn't have been more helpful and seems a really nice bloke, 

Right then, where are you located mate i asked, 

Bovey Tracey he replied,

to be honest, i had never heard of it, so time to consult google maps..

Well it turns out it's only about 270 miles one way from my house in Lancashire ūüėě (so round trip of approx 540 miles)

Time to make a decision, do the positives outweigh the negatives, is it going to be a cost effective solution in getting my R O R shed ? 

after doing some calculations and a little more contact with the seller, the answer to the 2 questions above is YES¬†¬†ūüėĀ

I have hired a box van for this coming Saturday,shangied my brother in law to accompany me and..

I'm going on an adventure to Bovey Tracy to dismantle it and give it a new home in sunny Lancashire,

even though my DIY skills are rubbish i feel i have to give this a go,

All in with the cost of The Obsey (as it is now known until i can think of something better) and with the hire van/fuel and brother in laws dinner

it's going to set me back approximately £570 and a day out, I'm well chuffed with that, the cheapest quote i had to have one built was £1000

I have a couple of pictures of the obsey in it's current location if anyone would like to see them,

Sorry to waffle on so long,

Thanks for reading

JemC

• Like 3

Pictures!! :D

• Like 2

Yes agree pictures please always good to see alternative  obsys

• Like 2

That's a bit of a trek!  Still, at least it's mostly just chugging down the motorway.  Best of luck with it, and yes, do post pictures :)

James

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JemC said:

Well it turns out it's only about 270 miles one way from my house in Lancashire

Only ūüė≥

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daz said:

Pictures!! :D

3 hours ago, mog3768 said:

Yes agree pictures please always good to see alternative  obsys

Ok here they are,

once i have it home will take a few of my own,

obsey4.jpg.84f6abf1a078fa65c3e292cde7f331e8.jpg 

86653484_gutternowfitted.thumb.jpg.3ac167e1a34e0eb35eb8f86ff20d2a01.jpg

obsey2.jpg.1bc27d984e90717cc31fda7d8f5ff789.jpg

obsey3.jpg.2fe926cdf0e68fe4bcb80fbe6f580891.jpg

• Like 2

Aha!  I saw that one a few days ago.  Hadn't internalised that it was down this way though.

James

• Like 1

That is quite a neat solution and an exitingn find for you!

• Like 1

Well it looks like you have bagged a  bargain  there. Good Luck with  transport and reassemble.

• Like 1

Well, that was a long day,

Left home this morning 07:30, drove down to Bovey Tracey, dismantled the obsey, loaded onto van, drove back home and finished unloading into back garden 21:00, first part of the adventure complete,

I'm ready for a brew,

• Like 4

I would of wanted something a little stronger. Look forward to the next episode 

Please keep posting future developments

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaced Out said:

I bet you're fired up to get it assembled ! ūüĎć

I certainly am,

I am hoping to have it up by next weekend all being well,

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By lux eterna
      Hi all,
      Pretty often I read about people having issues that may be related to backlash in DEC or RA, and I would like to offer a very simple and effective cure for it. I have done it on my HEQ5 Pro but surely it can be modified for any mount that needs it. With this simple fix, I can live with a rather big backlash (with no risk for binding in freezing temperatures).
      For DEC, I always balance carefully (neither front nor back heavy). Then I stretch the coil spring until it has a small impact on the DEC balance (and later in the evening I eventually forget about loosening it when I slew away... so you will need some replacement springs. It took maybe 10+ of such mistakes until I stopped forgetting...). The bracket is only attached with double sided tape (on three sides), but the black maintenance plug (not original) also supports it.

RA is usually OK with just the standard method "East Heavy", but occationally the scope is poing due west or east (counterweights pointing north) and then there is no "East Heavy" impact. That is when I use this:

It¬īs a little hard to see in the pictures, but I get a momentum in RA (in reverse to tracking direction) when I tighten the string. Now, I happen to have the Rowan belt mod which includes a thick nylon spacer inside the gear cover, and that is a good thing here because it adds to the momentum. I usually hook it up an hour or two before the CW bar points due north. Then when it has well past north I will stop the camera, remove the backlash killer and re-adjust "East Heavy".
      EDIT:  (Sorry, English is my second language...)  Should be a torque, not momentum.
      Ragnar

• By Craig Shaw
      I have searched SGL for a tutorial incase this has been covered so forgive me if it has. I've also searched the web in general and couldn't find a full tutorial to do this, so i have collated a couple of tutorials that make it work.

I have managed to get SkySafari to work with a ¬£32 ish Raspberry Pi3 and the cable that came with my scope with a usb to serial converter - the same things you need for connecting to a PC. It allows me to control the scope using the SkySafari Plus app on my tablet or phone¬†AND¬†it creates a wifi hotspot¬†on the Raspberry Pi so it doesnt have to be on a network to work. This also turns the pi into a natty mini wireless router which is handy if you travel since it gives you a private wireless network when plugged into hotel wired internet ūüėĀ
      ***STANDARD DISCLAIMER***
      I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY OCCUR  TO YOUR HARDWARE BY FOLLOWING THIS POST OR ANYTHING LINKED TO THIS POST

It takes about 30 mins to do the tinkering, make sure you use the latest LITE version of raspbian.
      You need:
      Raspberry Pi 3 Portable power to it (preferably) Raspbian Lite Image file Appropriate cables to connect your Telescope to it via USB Computer connected to network Network cable to connect Raspberry Pi for initial setup A GoTo / Push To etc telescope mount compatible with SkySafari Plus / Pro A nice case for the Raspberry Pi
      You need to know a little about accessing the Raspberry Pi by SSH.
      For windows, use Win32 Disk Imager to burn the latest Raspbian LITE image to a micro sd card. Open the card on the pc (called boot) and make a blank file on it called 'ssh' - no file extension. This enables ssh access automatically.
      Stick it in your Pi and plug it into your network router and a power source.
      Find its ip address - i log into my router by typing its ip address into a web browser and look at connected devices, there are other methods though.

I use a program called Putty to ssh.

There are many tutorials on how to do the above and it isnt as hard as it first seems.

I used 2 tutorials to do this and i will link to them directly as the original authors explain it better than me. The first one is muuuch longer than the second which is just 3 steps so bare with it.

***NOTE***
      When the first tutorial suggests a reboot after the upgrade, DO IT! Then ssh back into the Pi and continue.

Don't bother rebooting after tutorial 1 either.
      Tutorial 1 - Turn Raspberry Pi into a portable wifi hotspot

See 'CONNECTING' after doing step 2 in the next tutorial to actually connect to the scope as what you have just done changes it a bit.

Tutorial 2 - Make it talk to SkySafari App and the 'Scope

You can now unplug the pi from your router. Plug your USB to serial adapter into the pi, your telescope cable into that and connect it to your scope as you would do with a pc (mine is into the AutoStar hand box) and use it as a stand alone adapter just like the £200 SkyFi adapter!

CONNECTING:
      To connect SkySafari to the pi you simply connect your tablet or phone to the pi's network like you would any other wifi network, i called mine Scope, connect using the security key / password you made up in tutorial 1. Open SkySafari and follow step 3 in the second tutorial but with IP address 192.168.0.10 - the port is still 4000 (unless you changed it)

If you are at home and your cable is long enough to reach your router you can plug the pi into that and use your home internet too - which you cant do with the SkyFi adapter!
      I am going to shorten my serial cable to make it a neater package, i can always solder new plus to make an extension if i ever need one.

I am also working on finding out how to make it share usb internet so a 4g dongle can be plugged into it when out and about since when you connect to the pi's wifi in the field you will not have internet on the device connected to it.
      Also the Pi could possibly be used for imaging or tracking, someone on here will probably know more on this.
    • By Bamo
      Hello reader,
      Appreciate your time to read that topic.
      Have you ever tried 3D printing tech to create/design any of your astro components that may substitute expensive ones?. I'm curious to know your thoughts about it.
      Thankfully,
      Bamo
    • By bottletopburly
      So  my birthday just past so money to splash on astro stuff , i will have my 1000D modded by juan at cheapastrophotography and also have ordered an autofocuser from deepsky dad https://deepskydad.com/autofocuser i know they can be done DIY but this is a neat package  and costs about the same as a SW autofocuser and a hitechastro focusmaster and i`m no electronic wizard and pavel seems to have a good product and works with ascom and confirmed it works with APT i will update in a few weeks time when hopefully i will have received and tried out . 

• By coatesg
      It's about time that I got together a thread describing my rebuild of my old Orion Optics SPX350. I'd bought this a *long* time ago with a mind to doing it up to use for AP, but then house move, life, etc meant it sat around doing not a lot for a long time. When I came to use it, I got some good results, esp on planetary work, but also found that under the weight of the heavier SBIG CCD, the thin tube didn't hold collimation particularly well. Here it was:

So, eventually, I decided to have a rebuild. I plumped for a truss tube over a remount inside a carbon tube. Not sure whether carbon tube would have been cheaper now though to be honest! 
      As the scope is mounted on an EQ mount (my Losmandy Titan), it needed to have a central brace, and so I shamelessly borrowed many ideas from Rolf Olsen's excellent scopes (see: https://www.rolfolsenastrophotography.com). 
      It started with the three rings - these were routed out of 21mm Baltic Birch Ply (sourced free from a mate who works in wood sales...). Internal diameter is 390mm.  

Onto these were mounted a new Orion 9 point primary cell (to replace the naff original 3-point cell) - shown here without any connecting hardware!):

and with a bit of 1.5" aluminium tube, some drilling and making of small recesses using a spade bit, a secondary cage was constructed -- again without the final countersunk parts and connecting hardware:

To be continued!!

√ó

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.