Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Jkulin

Domes - Whats out there that is good and won't break the bank?

8 hours ago, saac said:

John, I used a company called FH Brundle: excellent service , can't fault them.  They provide an option of either v groved or round  galvanised track in 3 m sections.  I elected to use the round track; in retrospect the v grove track may provide a higher degree of resistance to side movement. Having said that, I have not had any problem with the round profile which I think provides a lower rolling resistance. Brundle's have a variety of wheels available, I went with the caged wheels which were mounted in their own bracket - made installation that bit easier.  I haven't fully recessed the wheels into the roof timber, something I have been meaning to go back to do; as you say this would lower the profile a little. As for the height of the roof line you can always adjust that to suit by inserting shims; adjusting the height to your local situation should not be a big problem.  One of the things you will need to do is add some bracing to both the roof and the walls. This is not as onerous as it may sound nor particularly difficult but it adds further weight to the roof in particular.  You will want to be sure that the roof can be safely supported. I'll post some more pictures showing the roof section from inside but it will be later on in the week. One thing I would recommend is to inspect the observatory fully built before you purchase it; some roof profiles are easier than others to convert. You effectively want a roof that is separate from the rest of the construction.

Jim 

https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/05GD289__3_Metre_Bolt_Down_Track_for_20mm_Rd_Grvd_Wheels

https://www.fhbrundle.co.uk/products/0515094__120_x_30mm_T_Wheel_With_Internal_Support_Round_Groove_Max_600kg

Exactly what I used on my ROR.  Roof rolls very easily.

• Thanks 1

I also used FH Brundle and have been pleased with the results (I used the V track rather than the half-round version).

James

I chose the half-round because I thought the roof would move more easily but I suspect both have two lines of contact and the difference may be negligible.