SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Under Rated Images

Rodd

30 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I have made the mistake of thinking my image was good--it seemed to spark people into finding its faults.  It seems the more I say its good--the more criticism there is.   When I say I don't like it--people say I am crazy,

Rodd

Are you seriously noting, as seems to be the case as it is a bit of a rambling OP so, like Vlaiv, I am struggling to understand the exact point of the thread, that you gauge the quality of your images against those posted by others on the number of like clicks they get?  If that is the case then I'm just stunned, Rodd, and certainly don't see how you could use this as an accurate way of measuring image quality.

Being brutally honest, I don't click like on your images because some time ago I did just this on a couple of threads, and the image I liked was followed very quickly by 9 or 10 renditions of the same thing, some with changes imperceivable to me, and mostly based on your view of it and not as a result of any critique.  I doubt I am alone in this and, whilst my like or not like no doubt means absolutely nothing to you, could be why some feel they are not able to like your first image posted as it is highly unlikely to be the one you actually like.  Now this may have changed and you may no longer do this, I don't know as I only ever look at the first image now and internally tip my cap to what is invariably a pretty good image.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, RayD said:

Are you seriously noting, as seems to be the case as it is a bit of a rambling OP so, like Vlaiv, I am struggling to understand the exact point of the thread, that you gauge the quality of your images against those posted by others on the number of like clicks they get?  If that is the case then I'm just stunned, Rodd, and certainly don't see how you could use this as an accurate way of measuring image quality.

Being brutally honest, I don't click like on your images because some time ago I did just this on a couple of threads, and the image I liked was followed very quickly by 9 or 10 renditions of the same thing, some with changes imperceivable to me, and mostly based on your view of it and not as a result of any critique.  I doubt I am alone in this and, whilst my like or not like no doubt means absolutely nothing to you, could be why some feel they are not able to like your first image posted as it is highly unlikely to be the one you actually like.  Now this may have changed and you may no longer do this, I don't know as I only ever look at the first image now and internally tip my cap to what is invariably a pretty good image.

No, I am not saying I judge my images on the likes, its the opposite, I judge my images good (when I believe they are) and then expect likes because of it.  When the likes don't come, I seek out other images to see what mistakes I have made and get upset when an image I believe is inferior, or equal to gets more likes.  Likes for Astrobin equals Likes And comments for SGL.  When one is regularly like slighted, it is either personal or the image is inferior.  What else can it be if it is a regular pattern?

BTW--I have stopped posting multiple versions for the most part.  

Rodd

5 minutes ago, swag72 said:

And therein lies the issue for me. How can anyone post an image on a forum or AB etc and actually EXPECT likes? 

By seeing teh pattern of likes garnered for similar images.  Likes typically say something about image quality--when one posts an image that they believe is decent, likes are to be expected.  If you don't belive that--count teh likes you get.  You all seem to think this is personal.  Its not, its all about the images.  I want critique because I want to improve the image.  They shouldn't be called likes--they should be called fair, good, excellent etc.  I do not care if someone likes my image--I care if they think teh image has been processed well and if it portrays teh target well.  That, means "like".  It should not be personal.  

Rodd

14 minutes ago, swag72 said:

And therein lies the issue for me. How can anyone post an image on a forum or AB etc and actually EXPECT likes? 

And...that is what forums are for.  if people did not expect comments about their image, they would not post them...what would be the point?  Just save it to your hard drive and move on.

Rodd

1 minute ago, Rodd said:

And...that is what forums are for.  if people did not expect comments about their image, they would not post them...what would be the point?  Just save it to your hard drive and move on.

Rodd

I will always post my images without ANY expectation of likes........ Why do I post them then? To have them available on the forum and on the internet for searches from others, perhaps my processing will help (or hinder), perhaps something that I have said or found near the image will help others. Some of my posts get few likes and comments and I am fine with that.... I can't force people to comment or like it and neither can I have an expectation of others to do something. 

6 minutes ago, Rodd said:

And...that is what forums are for. 

Wow, well I've definitely learnt something from this thread.  My view of it has always been for people with a common interest to share and enjoy that common interest.

10 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I will always post my images without ANY expectation of likes........ Why do I post them then? To have them available on the forum and on the internet for searches from others, perhaps my processing will help (or hinder), perhaps something that I have said or found near the image will help others. Some of my posts get few likes and comments and I am fine with that.... I can't force people to comment or like it and neither can I have an expectation of others to do something. 

6 minutes ago, RayD said:

Wow, well I've definitely learnt something from this thread.  My view of it has always been for people with a common interest to share and enjoy that common interest.

Why can't you people understand that this was about Astrobibn--not SGL?

Forget it--don't respond.  I have had enough.  You have all missed my point.  If I hadn't expected it, I would be upset.

Meanwhile--the good images will continue to get likes......DUH!

Rodd

8 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Apologies if I misunderstood, Rodd.  You were making clear references to comments (which I didn't think you could add on AB) so it seemed you were referring to both.  

I honestly don't think you should take the number of likes or comments, either here or on any other media platform, as a gauge of how people rate your images.  I also think that if you post images with the explicit intent of gaining likes, then maybe you will always be running the risk of disappointment, and not necessarily based on how good your image is.

I like looking at images, but I don't want to feel compelled to comment or like in case the poster is upset.  I like something when and if I choose to, not because I think it is what the poster is expecting.

Reading through this thread made me contemplate exactly why I post my images on here.

The answer is simple - I am actively seeking constructive criticism to help me improve. I tend to be heavy handed when processing and sometimes I look at an image so closely that I fail to see it. It's only when somebody points out the odd colour cast or other defect that I can see it - that's what objectivity brings to the party.

Some VERY competent imagers have given me great advice - willingly and freely and I am very grateful for that.

With regard to likes .....

I dont expect likes and I dont even look at the number of likes - its meaningless. I dont give likes either - again because its meaningless.

If I see an image that I think could be improved and I am sure then I will pass on my thoughts on how it could be better with suggestions on how to achieve it.

If I see something truly amazing again I will pass comment. Amazing may not mean world class - it may be a pink smudge with a white blob purporting to be M42 but if its someones first image then that is amazing - equally if its a kid in India with a home made scope on Heath Robinson mount with a 10 year old mobile phone than that too is amazing.

If I want likes I could post my images on the many FaceBook groups where a lot of people dont know the difference between a world class image and a wet weekend.

I would certainly never be upset about the number of likes an image did or didnt get and I cannot imagine any value in the number of likes.

I just checked the image I am most proud of - it had 23 likes - so what??

I dont use or look at Astrobin since it became a paid for site.

1 hour ago, Rodd said:

Forget it--don't respond.  I have had enough.  You have all missed my point.  If I hadn't expected it, I would be upset.

Maybe you didnt make your point very clearly?

@Rodd

It certainly wasn't clear to me that your comments were about Astrobin.

I have to say I much prefer people to comment than to like, but each to his own.  Whilst it is nice to get lots of likes, I know that my images are never going to be of the standard of some of the excellent imagers on here and on Astrobin, this is partly due to my location and limited time I get when I travel to a darker location.  My technical abilities are also not as great as some, and I don't have high spec kit, so I just do the best I can with what I have available.

Carole 

1 hour ago, carastro said:

@Rodd

It certainly wasn't clear to me that your comments were about Astrobin.

I have to say I much prefer people to comment than to like, but each to his own.  Whilst it is nice to get lots of likes, I know that my images are never going to be of the standard of some of the excellent imagers on here and on Astrobin, this is partly due to my location and limited time I get when I travel to a darker location.  My technical abilities are also not as great as some, and I don't have high spec kit, so I just do the best I can with what I have available.

Carole 

You do very well Carole. 

Rodd

The post to my reading seemed to about how people respond to your images which I must say Rodd are very good, you seem to be blessed with frequent clear skies and lucky to image with some very nice equipment.

For me personally I don’t left click "like" on every image that looks good,  for me it comes down to personal taste,  Im seldom captured by images taken with a focal length of around  400mm - 500mm, why? well I think its down to the fact that it’s a popular focal length and ive likely seen similar images before. I get a buzz seeing detailed close-ups of deep sky and wide field shots with camera lenses, skyscapes, timelapse.

Its all down to personal taste, keep imaging and forget the “likes”

Clear skies Mark.

@Rodd

I have to apologise Rodd, I went back to the first post and re-read it and it appears it was about Astrobin, but I guess as the thread went on, it became less obvious.

I have my own thoughts on likes and other issues on AB which I won't put in this thread.  It's a great resource, and I host all my images on there, but there are some aspects I don't agree with.

Carole 

15 hours ago, Rodd said:

No, I am not saying I judge my images on the likes, its the opposite, I judge my images good (when I believe they are) and then expect likes because of it.  When the likes don't come, I seek out other images to see what mistakes I have made and get upset when an image I believe is inferior, or equal to gets more likes.  Likes for Astrobin equals Likes And comments for SGL.  When one is regularly like slighted, it is either personal or the image is inferior.  What else can it be if it is a regular pattern?

BTW--I have stopped posting multiple versions for the most part.  

Rodd

I have to say that I have little understanding of why some of your posts in this thread are so aggressive.  That makes it very difficult for me to be 'kind' in my response, but I've always found SGL to be a welcoming and friendly place so I am doing my best...

You seem to be arguing against yourself.  You've posted saying that better images get more likes; others have pointed out reasons for liking images that perhaps aren't that great and for not liking great images, for instance because they haven't been seen.  I agree with all of that but would agree that great images tend to get more likes.  The more prolific 'top-notch' imagers also tend to get more likes, I believe - though I have no empirical evidence for that - because I suspect people will actively click on their images because they know it will be worth viewing.

Then in the quote above you are saying you get upset when images that are, in your opinion, inferior get more likes than yours.

Well cripes.  Firstly that makes you sound like a petulant child, and secondly - by your own reasoning - maybe it means that your image wasn't as good as you think it was?

As a side thought, I find the timing of posting very important. Holidays, weekend, night, clear everywhere, moon, etc. People won't spend time online when they've something else to do. I know that I asked specifically for suggestions sometimes and received none. Other times, I get feedback even if I don't ask specifically for it. Post the best image just after an eclipse and it will be much less noticed.

There are studies for when you should post on Facebook to get the most views/reactions, when news should be published to reach more people, what type of content at which hours, etc. Maybe do a research on this topic too to get another kind of answers.

Archived