Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Deflavio

AZ-GTi wifi is ok but no device found !?

Hi all, 

I have been following this forum for the last year and never had really much to say until ..well now.  I have learnt a lot by reading your experiences and then I discovered EAA. So much fun and yes I can see galaxies from London!! 

But tonight something weird happened... the clouds opened up and my AZ-GTi decided to go on strike :(

The wifi is on, I can connect fine with my phone or my PC but when I launch the SW app I get a very worrying "no device found". What? Why? I'm connected on the right SSID (SynScan_aacf) as every other night... Initially I though low batteries but also connecting with the power plug (12V 5A) it gives me the same result. Any idea? anyone got a similar message?...  Is there any hard reset I can try? 

Now, the fact is that I'm testing my equipment because in exactly one week I'm off to New Zealand for some dark skies.... still no in panic mode but eh...   

uhm, tried to update firmware and it says it can't connect to "motor controller" . Again the PC is connected to the mount wifi but it seems the mount itself is not responding.

If nobody has a better idea, my last attempt is to wait/hope for the automatic factory reset... and I should know in 4 hours. Let's see.

Make sure there's no way that any of your devices that have previously connected to the mount via WiFi can 'accidentally/automatically' connect and ruin the 4-hr reset... 

Ady

Thanks Ady,

I have checked this morning but no luck still connecting to the WiFi fine but “no device found” message still there. Turn off and on but no change.  I think no other WiFi is connected as I was x.x.x.2 (sorry don’t remember the exact IP)

I ‘m off to work now, laptops/iPad off or with me... trying another reset just in case but I guess I’ll contact the shop anyway.

Edited by Deflavio

Until you can talk to it again don't add more complication by changing what's there such as trying to update the firmware.

Have you tried with any others wireless devices off except what you use to connect it to.

If your pc/phone connect it means the Wifi appears to be working.

1. Check that the settings haven't be corrupted (have you downloaded a new version of the APP? - on windows it will overwrite the settings file) - so check "find Devices" under "Settings" is set to on.

2. If "Find Devices" is on  and you have a hand controller plus this in and check the Mounts board is working (so does the handset connect and can you slew using the directional keys) - if the handset wont connect or wont move the mount it could be the main board.

Thanks for the suggestions

@happy-kat I was just trying another tool to see if I could comunicate with the mount, but yeah that was a bit risky. I have tried with iphone7 and PC (Win10). I will try later with ipad or my wife phone.

@stash_old  No updates or new downloads.  I did reinstall a new version of the Synscan PC app only after I saw the problem to see if anything changed but same results. On the phone, it is the same app. In setting "Find Devices" is on. Unfortunately I don't have any handset to test if the main board is answering to a direct motion command. 

The night before it was working fine although, now that I think about, GOTO was not great and as some point, the scope, while slewing to a target, went to the zenith without reason...that was strange, never happened. I though the batteries were low so I close the session. Yesterday when I was setting up a new session, BEFORE changing the batteries I just tried to connect and see how good or bad was the charge but the mount never come up in the SynScan app (but the wifi SSID was ok). I then went inside and tried with external plug and batteries but no luck.

Doesn't sound great eh?  Maybe this pointing to the zenith was the swan song of my mount? 😶

One thing to check, If you go to the synscan app....then settings, then connect settings...make sure you are on Network, and find devices is turned on

image.png.fd68c9d1362d3bc51aff40efad6c8c16.png

And check any cables - always worth double checking !

If you havent a handset then you could try unsetting the "Find Devices" and entering the IP address of the Mount.

Can you borrow anyone's handset ?

Else its the dreaded • Reset Wi-Fi configuration to factory default by turning on the power without the SynScan hand control connected and no App operations via the Wi-Fi connection for 4 hours. - madness Sky Watcher what wally thought that up!

What is the LED doing ???

@festoon Yep that's what I have... 

@stash_old Ok I have tried by entering the IP manually of the mount which was 192.168.4.1...but again no response. This time the message on the app changed in "cannot connect". Again the SSID wifi is up and my device is connected fine, just the mount is not recognised by the app or responding...   It seems wifi and mount controller are acting as two different systems inside the mount.

To answer happy-cat, tried now also with an ipad, same story. But...

Good news, I'm in contact with the vendor... fingers crossed. 

Edited by Deflavio

Just Wow!

I have been in contact with FLO and this morning I received temporarily one of their demo AZ-GTi. Without doubt, this is the best customer service I ever had !! Thank you FLO!   🤩

Sending now back my mount for checking. They mentioned that a wired firmare update/reflash may help, if not, a repair/replace may be needed.

Checked the new mount, powered up, connected to WiFi and app connected to mount, great! The mount is slewing happily around. I can now see also the option for EQ or AZ mode when connecting with the app, nice but I’ll stick to AZ for now ;)

...and the trip to NZ is safe! Now I must get and post some nice pictures, eh ? 😅

Thanks again FLO and everyone!

• Like 2