Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

John

R.I.P Opportunity

I followed its progress avidly for years. Very sad a dust storm finally ended its career. And strange to think I saw that dust storm with my own eyes (not that anything else was visible on Mars...).

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1

Madly and unjustifiably, I always harboured a secret hope that somehow Opportunity would get to Beagle2, flip out the stuck solar panel, and spring it to life! Oh well, another dream crushed 😁

I suppose I feel slighty sad, and perhaps bad, for these shutdown probes and robots on distant worlds. Still, it’s pretty incredible any of them made it there in one piece in the first place. Am I right that Opportunity was lifted down on the amazing “sky crane”?

• Like 3

My batteries are dying, and it is getting dark

@Grogfish Spirit and Opportunity did not use a sky crane, you are thinking of Curiosity.

Instead Oppy landed by means of the Interplanetary Bouncy Castle.

Ooops, my mistake!

In my own mind I’d always thought of this method as the “raspberry of doom”, but I love the IBC! 

RIP! I always like the occasional "selfie" pictures of these...
Do I see the odd cable tie... a touch of "Heath Robinson"? 
Such things make them endearing... "Absent Friends"! 😺

Edited by Macavity
  • Like 2

It's almost like losing a good friend.  This little piece of electronic wizardry confounded even those who built it, and it proved itself so resilient and dependable. Mars surrrendered much to the probings of Opportunity, and now has earned it's retirement. Huge, and grateful thanks to the scientists and engineers who created Opportunity, we owe them for the great sights she provided.

RIP Opportunity.:icon_salut::icon_pale:

Ron.

• Like 3

It's been like an old friend, hoping it would last forever. One day they will find it.......

Steve

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

It's been like an old friend, hoping it would last forever. One day they will find it.......

Steve

Maybe Val Kilmer will hitch a ride on it ?

• Like 2