Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Hi...

Trying to get phd2 guiding for the first time and this... what should I do?

20190213_192426.thumb.jpg.48fcd13c31bd2bf2c85e6295ecb525e1.jpg

Run the guiding assistant from the Tools menu, Then accept its recommendations and try re-calibrating.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

You need to calibrate the mount....

Could you elaborate a bit please? Bear in mind this is all completely new to me.

If you go into the tools menu just at the top of the page and click the guiding assistant and let it run and as  Robin says.

• Like 1

Ok thanks just doing that now.

Still not great!

20190213_201021.thumb.jpg.597b664ba77cd81fe507f3d21fd6d3b7.jpg

Presumably your mount is polar aligned?

When you framed the target did you make the last adjustments in the North and East directions (this reduces backlash)?

Did you adopt the Guiding Assistant recomendations?

• Like 1

both of those are good guides, but what you need to do, if not done already, is to 'SHIFT+CLICK' on the guide to force the mount to go through calibration...it will edge through E/W/N/S and return to know which way it needs to push to keep the star aligned in the gross hairs :).   However, i note the comment about 'calibration based on very few steps', did you alter something?  let it do 7-11 steps for cal

HTH 

Mike

• Like 1

Follow these simple steps:

1. Make sure your mount is properly levelled and balanced.
  2. Make sure your scope is balanced.
  3. Make sure your polar alignment is good.
  4. Run guiding assistant and accept the values.

Hope this helps.

Edited by souls33k3r
  • Like 1

thanks for the help. having a torrid evening... i have  got guiding a few times i just thought the graph needed to be a lot more accurate than it was. but not my dslr isnt working with APT... its connected but it keeps telling me to put it in manual or bulb mode when it is! so frustrating.

Take a breath, look at the stars and enjoy, sometimes when imaging, we forget to just look up and marvel at what's up there :)

as for APT.. check the little tab to make sure you have bulb selected there under EXP:  (i'm not connected so can't show it properly)

image.png.d96797476d6fd2f803f0d068ee77e25c.png

• Like 1

yes you're right. I've not even eaten yet, just ordered a chinese as i really want to get this guiding sorted for tomorrow with clear skies forecast then too. 

i got APT working, had to shift click connect again and choose the right digic processor, i must have accidentally clicked on the wrong one when i first installed the program. just trying to guide again now. 

Good luck, I will be out there with APT and PHD2 as well 😉

Well somethings working - I am getting round stars with 2 minute exposures, but 3 minutes there's slight trailling. But still, 2 minutes is a good start.

Thanks for those guides chaps. I'll have a read of them. 

You need more than 2 or 3 steps in the Calibration to get good guiding.

Sounds like you don't have the correct guidescope focal length and the guidecam pixel size entered.

Need to get those right, to give 8 to 13 or so steps in the Calibration, before trying the Guiding Assistant.

Michael 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

You need more than 2 or 3 steps in the Calibration to get good guiding.

Sounds like you don't have the correct guidescope focal length and the guidecam pixel size entered.

Need to get those right, to give 8 to 13 or so steps in the Calibration, before trying the Guiding Assistant.

Michael 

This is how its looking at the moment. Not sure what pixel size should be or where to enter it, I have entered 50mm as the focal length though. 

guiding.thumb.jpg.3ce8009e2aad12a448c118db48c03ad5.jpg

What guide camera and what guide scope are you using?

Just now, RayD said:

What guide camera and what guide scope are you using?

zwo120mm mini and 50mm starwave

7 minutes ago, smr said:

zwo120mm mini and 50mm starwave

Ok well I'm pretty sure the focal length of that OTA is 206mm.  You need to enter this, and the pixel size for that camera (3.75um) and then let it calculate your calibration figures.

Edited by RayD
  • Like 1

good polar alignment is the key to getting PHD to guide properly.      I've found that using the polar align tool in Sharp Cap Pro is work really well to get your polar alignment sorted out

You need to enter 206 mm as the focal length and 3.75 um  as the pixel size...  

Dave