Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guiding help

smr

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

both of those are good guides, but what you need to do, if not done already, is to 'SHIFT+CLICK' on the guide to force the mount to go through calibration...it will edge through E/W/N/S and return to know which way it needs to push to keep the star aligned in the gross hairs :).   However, i note the comment about 'calibration based on very few steps', did you alter something?  let it do 7-11 steps for cal

HTH 

Mike

thanks for the help. having a torrid evening... i have  got guiding a few times i just thought the graph needed to be a lot more accurate than it was. but not my dslr isnt working with APT... its connected but it keeps telling me to put it in manual or bulb mode when it is! so frustrating.

Take a breath, look at the stars and enjoy, sometimes when imaging, we forget to just look up and marvel at what's up there :)

as for APT.. check the little tab to make sure you have bulb selected there under EXP:  (i'm not connected so can't show it properly)

image.png.d96797476d6fd2f803f0d068ee77e25c.png

yes you're right. I've not even eaten yet, just ordered a chinese as i really want to get this guiding sorted for tomorrow with clear skies forecast then too. 

i got APT working, had to shift click connect again and choose the right digic processor, i must have accidentally clicked on the wrong one when i first installed the program. just trying to guide again now. 

You need more than 2 or 3 steps in the Calibration to get good guiding.

Sounds like you don't have the correct guidescope focal length and the guidecam pixel size entered.

Need to get those right, to give 8 to 13 or so steps in the Calibration, before trying the Guiding Assistant.

Michael 

20 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

You need more than 2 or 3 steps in the Calibration to get good guiding.

Sounds like you don't have the correct guidescope focal length and the guidecam pixel size entered.

Need to get those right, to give 8 to 13 or so steps in the Calibration, before trying the Guiding Assistant.

Michael 

This is how its looking at the moment. Not sure what pixel size should be or where to enter it, I have entered 50mm as the focal length though. 

guiding.thumb.jpg.3ce8009e2aad12a448c118db48c03ad5.jpg

7 minutes ago, smr said:

zwo120mm mini and 50mm starwave

Ok well I'm pretty sure the focal length of that OTA is 206mm.  You need to enter this, and the pixel size for that camera (3.75um) and then let it calculate your calibration figures.

Archived