SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M95 & M96 by a colour and a mono CMOS working together

gorann

Monday night it finally cleared and 2 am - 5 am on Tuesday morning I had my two Esprits directed at these two Messier galaxies. I collected the RGB with the ASI071MC (OSC) sitting on the Esprit 150 (38 x 5 min at gain 200 offset 30) and the Lum with the ASI1600MM (89 x 2 min at gain 139 offset 50) sitting on the Esprit 100. Ideally I should have collected the Lum with the larger scope but both galaxies would not have fit on the smaller chip of the ASI1600. Still, the lum collected by the smaller scope helped a lot.

Stacking, aligning and a few other minor things in PI, the rest processed in PS.

Totally 6.1 hour and very happy to finally get some data of my own!

20190212_M95_M96_RGB_PS31smallSign.jpg

Very nice image Göran,

Was it easy to add the Lum to the RGB from a different camera?

I have Pixinsight and the ZWO 183mm Pro along with a Atik 4120EX OSC. I have seen a few people here using two scopes alongside each other. My Mesu 200 could cope with the weight. My mind is thinking about this as a project for later this year. Especially, If easy to process from two different cameras then its got to be worth the effort :D 

2 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Very nice image as always Goran.

Please don't take this the wrong way, i'm not sure it's my eyes or my screen but the blacks look clipped and a bit too much blue going around in the stars

Thanks!

It is not clipped. I always leave plenty of room to the left of the histogram when I use curves to stretch the image, leaving the background around 30 until I am getting to the end of the processing. However, here I finally brought the background down lower than I usually do, so from the usual 25 (Olly standard) to 17 in this case since I think galaxies stand out better aganst a rather dark background (and as the sky is darker when we point away from the Milky Way). Regarding the stars you may be right that maybe there is a bit too much blue - I will have a look.

2 hours ago, Star101 said:

Very nice image Göran,

Was it easy to add the Lum to the RGB from a different camera?

I have Pixinsight and the ZWO 183mm Pro along with a Atik 4120EX OSC. I have seen a few people here using two scopes alongside each other. My Mesu 200 could cope with the weight. My mind is thinking about this as a project for later this year. Especially, If easy to process from two different cameras then its got to be worth the effort :D 

Thanks!

Yes, adding the lum layer was easy in this case. I just made a star alignment of the processed lum image against the processed RGB image using PI - took less than a minute. However, afterwards I had to play a bit with star shrinking to make the star sizes of the images to fit. If the arc sec/pixel size is too different you may have to enlarge the smaller of the images before aligning them for PI to work, but not needed in this case.

1 hour ago, Craney said:

The detail you have in M95 is quite staggering...

Well done.   I'm liking the double chip  (OSC + Lum) idea.

Thanks!

Yes, I had been playing with this idea for a while and it seems to work quite well. I can either use the mono camera to grab lum, as in this case with galaxies, or to grab Ha as I often do with nebulas, and then combine it with the RGB cought by the OSC.

12 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Goran..  is that with the Mesu?

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Just the old EQ8 but I wish I had the Mesu up since I expect I would have given quite a bit better guiding and a bit sharper image, but since I got the Mesu I have only had the odd clear night (or I have been traveling) and now I was craving for data, so I decided to wait until I get a few nights in a row to get it up and running.

5 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Please don't take this the wrong way, i'm not sure it's my eyes or my screen but the blacks look clipped and a bit too much blue going around in the stars

Here is a new version where I among a few other tweaks tuned down the blue in the stars a bit.

20190212_M95_M96_RGB_PS38smallSign.jpg

I am learning to plate solve and annotate in PI and managed to do this one (it first failed but worked after I set it to look for stars down to 15 mag). It turns out there are 30 galaxies in the image that occur in the Principal Galaxies Catalogue (PGC).

20190212_M95_M96_RGB_PS38BetterAnnotated.jpg

21 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

I had another go at the background by doing a new stretch of the Lum data - so here it is with a bit more faint stuff and a bit brighter. The stretch suggested that there may be some IFN there but I would need more data to make the IFN look good so I did not press it and there is at most a hint of it in this image.

20190212_M95_M96_RGB_PS41smallSign.jpg

1 hour ago, gorann said:

I had another go at the background by doing a new stretch of the Lum data - so here it is with a bit more faint stuff and a bit brighter. The stretch suggested that there may be some IFN there but I would need more data to make the IFN look good so I did not press it and there is at most a hint of it in this image.

20190212_M95_M96_RGB_PS41smallSign.jpg

Ok this by far is the best version and so much more pleasing to my eyes and from the same computer screen :) Well done matey :)

Thanks! In lack of clear skies I have fiddled around more with the image so now there is even a bit more background and I also reduced the saturation a bit. Compared to my initial post is is defenitively an improvement:

20190212_M95_M96_RGB_PS50smallSign.jpg

Archived