SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M104

Rodd

I did not know how this would turn out--I only started collecting subs of this galaxy after the Cone Nebula hit teh tree line to see if the little FSQ 106 with the .6x reducer could pull out some detail.     With allot more data I think this could make a nice image.  The data set is limited, and many subs were captured during lousy conditions.  Also, some subs didn't calibrate well--most did--but 40-50 lum subs did not for some reason.  maybe I used teh wrong flat in my bleary-eyed state.  That's why I had to clip the background just a bit.  It might be worth keeping the little scope on teh mount until this one is done--but if I keep doing that, I won't ever get to shoot galaxies at a longer FL.

Anyway--this is M104 LRGB with FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and ASI 1600.  

Red 122 60 sec

Green 81 60 sec

Blue 68 60 sec

Lum 157 60 sec.

M104c.thumb.jpg.f12eabb3fb7307fef5877aca5d07d177.jpg

6 minutes ago, Jarvo said:

Love it Rodd. This is one of my favourite Galaxies. Is it cropable to show it up even better?

Jarvo

Thanks Jarvo--just look at full resolution--that will get you in too far even.  The conditions were bad so zooming beyond a point degrades the image.  Click full resolution and the + with your mouse and it will look bigger.

Rodd

1 hour ago, Petergoodhew said:

Nice one Rodd.  It does look rather lonely on a wide-field image - but there are distant friends lurking around.

It reminds me of a flying saucer!

It does look like a UFO for sure.

Rodd

7 hours ago, wimvb said:

It shows in a very nice way how vast the universe is. Personally I would swap to a longer fl for galaxy hunting. You can always do hybrid imaging, adding data from a longer fl to this image.

Of course--but I had to finish teh cone and this little jewel was in perfect position (well--as perfect as it gets for me).  I have no idea how to insert longer focal length data into shorter focal length data.  I can do it teh other way around, but that is rather pointless unless noise is the primary reason one is doing it.  Whenever I try to register a long FL and a short FL image-- it's always the long FL (small FOV) that is left usable.

Rodd

47 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Very nice Rod. One of my fav galaxies too. It may be small but it sure is crisp. 

ps - There's a strange dark semi-circle towards the top-left which you might want to look into. 

That's a remnant of bad calibration--for some reason, the flats did not work on the Lum subs--but they worked on the lum subs of the Cone Nebula taken the sme night.  I may have used the wrong flats--it was 4:30 am and I was not seeing particularilly well.  I may ditch all teh lum and shoot some more anyway

Rodd

But in all honesty--I don't see it on this screen, so you have pretty good eyes (or your screen is set at a very high brightness).  

EDIT: m I found it--yep that's teh one I knew about.  But I am not too concerned about it as it is rather hard to spot unless one is hunting for it, and its way off to teh side.   Thanks for spotting it though as now I know I have to ditch the lum subs

11 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Interesting and, from a technical point of view, the exact opposite a version I processed using Julian Shaw's data. He shot the galaxy not at F3 point something but at F15!

The thread is here: 

Olly

Wow!--like the Hubbell image.  Maybe I should use the TOA 130 instead of the C11Edge.  If the FSQ 106 can get what it did in porr conditions, the larger refractor should be able to reveal allot more at over 3x the focal length.  

Rodd

Archived