SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW 80ED - convert to 10:1?

I have an old Skywatcher 80ED (it's actually on Orion, but they are identical).  This older model only has a single speed focuser, whilst the modern version has a 10:1 focus knob.   Does anyone know if there is a conversion kit for this?

Image result for orion 80 ed

NOTE - I'm not looking at changing the whole focuser, just the focuser knob.

Thanks

Best of luck. I have an older skywatcher one also and have been looking for a skywatcher 10:1 too. So far with no success but have been close a few times. I know flo do one but this does not have the thread on the focus tube to attach the FF directly.

1 hour ago, dyfiastro said:

Thanks for the link.  Looks exactly what I'm after ?, but at a price that is way more that I was thinking of ?

I think the idea of trying to get an original focuser (with 10:1) that someone has replaced might be the best bet.

1 hour ago, michaelmorris said:

Thanks for the link.  Looks exactly what I'm after ?, but at a price that is way more that I was thinking of ?

I think the idea of trying to get an original focuser (with 10:1) that someone has replaced might be the best bet.

I think would be the best bet, Michael. Quite a few people seem to swap out the stock 10:1 focuser for an upgrade, I'm sure a 'wanted' ad on here or ABS would turn up something.

The Lacerta conversion was the first one that sprang to mind for me, too.  I recall at least one person making their own, but that might be a bit extreme :)

If you're not in a hurry then I'd agree that waiting to see if the stock focuser from a newer OTA might be the way to go, though I'm not sure it would save you that much over the Lacerta kit given that a new Skywatcher dual-speed focuser (albeit better quality than the stock one) is probably in the region of £120 to £130.

James

22 minutes ago, JamesF said:

The Lacerta conversion was the first one that sprang to mind for me, too.  I recall at least one person making their own, but that might be a bit extreme :)

If you're not in a hurry then I'd agree that waiting to see if the stock focuser from a newer OTA might be the way to go, though I'm not sure it would save you that much over the Lacerta kit given that a new Skywatcher dual-speed focuser (albeit better quality than the stock one) is probably in the region of £120 to £130.

James

I've looked at replacement focusers and none of the more affordable models allow for screwing on the focal reducer, which is something I'm very keen to retain.  

Michael,

I use three ED80's and I've converted them all to 10:1 focusers plus added a SW motor using a timing belt drive.

I assume if the reducer screws onto the extisting focuser then it would also screw onto the replacement. ( I don't use one so can't confirm)

Look for a 96mm fitment 10:1 Crayford.

Hmmm...

OK, I think your saying the end of the drawtube has a 56mm thread. This is where the 2" adaptor screws onto the drawtube?

All the 10:1 focusers I have came from "other" ED scopes, so I'm not sure what the thread is on a generic GSO type focuser......

@merlin66  Yes this is correct. With the standard skywatcher the collar at the end of the draw tube can be unscrewed and this allows you to directly screw the field flattener to it. This allows for a more stable image train with minimal flexing. 

Archived