Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

RobertI

A quick session with the 72ED

Went out at 11pm on Sunday to test my new 'light shield' setup, and discovered a wonderfully clear sky so decided to make the most of it with a quick grab and go session. I carried out the 72mm frac on the Giro-WR and was observing within a couple of minutes. Not having prepared a target list, I just had a random scan of interesting objects to get my 'fix'. 

• Denebola – lovely split, best at around x80 but just visible with at x50.
  • M67 Cancer - a beautiful compact and well defined cluster, seemingly many unresolved stars, taking up a 1/3 of FOV at x43
  • Eskimo Nebula (NGC2392) - lying close to a similar magnitude star and unmistakable as non-stellar, with a bright core and fainter but well defined outer region.
  • Medusa Nebula (Abel 21) - Feeling (over) confident I thought I would have a go at the nearby medusa nebula. Having observed this with my EAA setup I knew this was challenging, but even with the UHC filter I could not see it. Subsequent research was inconclusive about the size of scope required, but it seems like an OIII filter is a must and upwards of 80cms aperture.
  • Onto some galaxies, M65 and 66 easily see, M66 having a faint star very close by. I tried for nearby NGC3628 but couldn't claim to see it.
  • M96 was nicely visible and M105 nearby, but its companions not so easy, just hints.
  • M51 was nicely visible, with two cores apparent.
  • M101 was surprisingly easily, it often seems quite a challenge but tonight's conditions must have been good.

Pleased to be making use of the capable little frac, but I must have a target list prepared for next time.

IMG_0440.thumb.jpg.66a8238c01fd0fc5aa88c50e457d1374.jpg

• Like 11

Nice report. I was looking at the 72ed online yesterday as I was in one of those moods where I think about future scopes. I couldn't find many observing reports around so it's good to get an idea of what this little frac can do... Thanks

Keep them coming 😀

Good report Rob.  I'm looking forward to putting my new frac (Exp Sci ED80 Apo) through its paces too; so far it has mainly been used as a guidescope for the 8" SCT!  (But the sharpness of the stars in it is very noticeable.)

Doug.

Edited by cloudsweeper

Good report a lot accomplished with your 72mm frac. The Medusa nebula is a diffuse object, I have seen it at a dark sky location in a 14" dob, fairly large, just distinguishable from the sky background and yes an OIII filter.

4 hours ago, mark81 said:

Nice report. I was looking at the 72ed online yesterday as I was in one of those moods where I think about future scopes. I couldn't find many observing reports around so it's good to get an idea of what this little frac can do... Thanks

Keep them coming 😀

Thanks, I've done a few reports over recent years with this scope (probably looking at the same objects!) so i'll see if I can link to them for your interest. It is a versatile scope, useful for grab and go, solar, widefeld imaging and as a finder, although my 66mm is better for the latter as it is quite a bit lighter. 

3 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

Good report Rob.  I'm looking forward to putting my new frac (Exp Sci ED80 Apo) through its paces too; so far it has mainly been used as a guidescope for the 8" SCT!  (But the sharpness of the stars in it is very noticeable.)

Doug.

That's quite some guidescope! Definitely deserves some eyeball time to appreciate those lovely pinpoint stars. Clusters and doubles will look fantastic I think.

3 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Good report a lot accomplished with your 72mm frac. The Medusa nebula is a diffuse object, I have seen it at a dark sky location in a 14" dob, fairly large, just distinguishable from the sky background and yes an OIII filter.

Thanks. Yes most of the reports of successful observations were with large intruments, some claimed to have seen it with small instruments, but I think 72mm without an filter is beyond hopeful! You must have had a wonderful night with the 14" dob at a dark sky location.