Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First astrophotography setup

MaHa

Hi everyone, 

I've been thinking I'd like to start learning astrophotography, by means of attaching my DSLR to a suitable scope and mount. I've done a little research - but plan of doing a whole lot more before fully committing and making a purchase. I've decided that I'm not going to spend any more than £1k. 

I was wondering if anyone has/used this before? 

https://www.telescopehouse.com/bresser-messier-ar-102s-600-exos-2-goto.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiA14TjBRD_ARIsAOCmO9a2FsFB14cttV5d2OA0QyzedRRCO9JembjcpCXzOZOjaJRNSnLEnIQaAgvhEALw_wcB

I'd be grateful for anyone's opinion who knows more about the subject than I  do! 

Thanks, Mark. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the start:

1) I would go for brands which are quite popular, - as you will need lots of info/advise in relation to Focal reducer or Field Flattener, spacings between camera and FF or CC, focuser, polar alignment and etc and etc... in this case such a brand like Skywatcher or similar is the best bet (Skywatcher HEQ5 + Skywtcher Scope).

2) Do not be afraid to look at the second hand items... If hobby will not stick to you, you will be able to sell the rig almost for the same amount bought.

13 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Definitely look at second hand. People like upgrading and there are bargains. 1k would get you an heq5, ed80 and probably an older canon DSLR. 

Hi Anthony, 

I already own two Canon DSLR's, so that's not required in my budgeting. 

19 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

As for the start:

1) I would go for brands which are quite popular, - as you will need lots of info/advise in relation to Focal reducer or Field Flattener, spacings between camera and FF or CC, focuser, polar alignment and etc and etc... in this case such a brand like Skywatcher or similar is the best bet (Skywatcher HEQ5 + Skywtcher Scope).

2) Do not be afraid to look at the second hand items... If hobby will not stick to you, you will be able to sell the rig almost for the same amount bought.

Thanks Roland, 

Some good advice. I'll keep researching until I'm more sure of what I'm going to do. 

To photograph many DSOs/Nebulae you can't do better than a camera lens. Many DSOs are big - for example, the Andromeda galaxy spans 8 moons and won't fit in the field of view of many telescopes.

9 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I'd second considering camera lenses for a first astrophotography setup. There are some large DSOs up there, for example here's a quick North America nebula and Pelican with a 135mm lens.

37423232795_714051402b_b.jpg

(Samyang 135mm F2 lens, modded Canon 1100D, Ha filter).

Hi. Is this image piggy backed on top of a scope? What was the exposure time 

14 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

I'd second considering camera lenses for a first astrophotography setup. There are some large DSOs up there, for example here's a quick North America nebula and Pelican with a 135mm lens.

37423232795_714051402b_b.jpg

(Samyang 135mm F2 lens, modded Canon 1100D, Ha filter).

Great picture, can I ask what you mean by a 'modded' 1100D? What part of the camera has been modified and how? Thanks!

Welcome MaHa.

Unfortunately, those Exos 2 Mounts have poor reviews. Google that mount and check it out. Maybe the new ones are OK. If you want a half decent mount in your budget, I would look at maybe this

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5-pro-synscan-goto.html

And the telescope with the mount you shown, was very slow at F/10, so not very suitable for DSO's. As others have suggested, you could use lenses to start, but if you want to buy a scope, I picked up a second hand skywatcher ED80 for less than £400 with field flattener, and this is an excellent scope.

Regards John

The 'modding' bit refers to the removal of the camera's stock daytime filter which cuts off the reds at wavelengths a tad shorter than those of the H alpha line. Older cameras in particular are almost entirely blind to Ha which is disastrous for emission nebulae. Once removed the camera will need its white balance setting manually for normal use. If you insert an Ha filter you will not be shooting on all your pixels but you'll still get a result and this opens up the nights with a significant amount of moonlight. Some do the mod themselves but it's tricky. There are people doing it professionally too.

Olly

6 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

The 'modding' bit refers to the removal of the camera's stock daytime filter which cuts off the reds at wavelengths a tad shorter than those of the H alpha line. Older cameras in particular are almost entirely blind to Ha which is disastrous for emission nebulae. Once removed the camera will need its white balance setting manually for normal use. If you insert an Ha filter you will not be shooting on all your pixels but you'll still get a result and this opens up the nights with a significant amount of moonlight. Some do the mod themselves but it's tricky. There are people doing it professionally too.

Olly

Thanks Olly!! 

20 hours ago, johngm said:

Welcome MaHa.

Unfortunately, those Exos 2 Mounts have poor reviews. Google that mount and check it out. Maybe the new ones are OK. If you want a half decent mount in your budget, I would look at maybe this

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-eq5-pro-synscan-goto.html

And the telescope with the mount you shown, was very slow at F/10, so not very suitable for DSO's. As others have suggested, you could use lenses to start, but if you want to buy a scope, I picked up a second hand skywatcher ED80 for less than £400 with field flattener, and this is an excellent scope.

Regards John

Hi John, 

Thanks for the advice, very useful. 

That's exactly why I put the link on my post, for guy's more knowledgeable like yourself to chip in with your thoughts. ?

I'm now considering the (what seems to be able to do no wrong?!) EQ5 Pro goto, combined with an ED80. 

I'm also looking at mounting my DSLR directly onto a tracking mount and using lenses, as others have suggested also. 

The coin is in the air.. 

Cheers, Mark. 

Admittedly it is very easy to spend more and more money in this game but the mount is so important I think it is worth mentioning. 

The EQ5 is ok but will only see you so far into your AP journey. If budget allows I’d look at the HEQ5, preferably the one with the Rosen belt mod already fitted. 

Great mount and will grow with your abilities. Strong resale value as well should you decide to upgrade in the future. 

11 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

Admittedly it is very easy to spend more and more money in this game but the mount is so important I think it is worth mentioning. 

The EQ5 is ok but will only see you so far into your AP journey. If budget allows I’d look at the HEQ5, preferably the one with the Rosen belt mod already fitted. 

Great mount and will grow with your abilities. Strong resale value as well should you decide to upgrade in the future. 

Hi dannybgoode, 

Yeah like you say - it's so easy to get carried away, I mean where do you draw the line?! I think though I'll have to stick to the EQ5, and hopefully it will do fine for my needs of some casual visual observations and using my DSLR every now and again. I'm having to take into consideration here some other of life's little expenses like the mortgage and car, and try to stay sensible... Although it's not easy, admittedly! ?

1 minute ago, MaHa said:

Hi dannybgoode, 

Yeah like you say - it's so easy to get carried away, I mean where do you draw the line?! I think though I'll have to stick to the EQ5, and hopefully it will do fine for my needs of some casual visual observations and using my DSLR every now and again. I'm having to take into consideration here some other of life's little expenses like the mortgage and car, and try to stay sensible... Although it's not easy, admittedly! ?

I know the feeling well. I’ve well and truly destroy the budget this year. Really can’t spend anything else for a good while. I’ve also hoping for a decent pay review so I get the old plastic down :D 

Been worth it though. I’m now pretty much set up for a good long while. 

17 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

I know the feeling well. I’ve well and truly destroy the budget this year. Really can’t spend anything else for a good while. I’ve also hoping for a decent pay review so I get the old plastic down :D 

Been worth it though. I’m now pretty much set up for a good long while. 

Good stuff, must be nice knowing that you're all set for the foreseeable. 

Best of luck with the pay review as well! ?

Mark. 

23 minutes ago, Ags said:

Instead of eq5, you can combine this with a sturdy photo tripod and a fast prime up to about 100mm:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p10760_Omegon-mount-Mini-Track-LX2-for-mobile-Astrophotography.html

Thanks Ags, 

One thing I'd considered about going down the lens route on a tracking mount, is that it would pretty much render me unable to do any visual observation. Am I right in thinking that? I would like to have the option be able to view my targets casually, as well as photograph them. 

Thanks! 

Archived