Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

iwols

very short exposure problem

hi just tried doing some very short exposures of orion 5sec,10 sec,20 sec but just wondered if anyone could suggest what the problem might be with the short exposures,the bands at the side,example below but not always as bad as this thanks,  ed80 lrgb filters and 414ex ccd ,only happens on very short exposures which we very rarely use

121103910_M42ORIONNEB_5sec_1x1_M42ORIONNEBLUM_frame2.thumb.jpg.b012625b01d32a946830d18e51a5c0b2.jpg

Is this image straight off the camera, or have calibration frames been applied?

• Like 1

I had a similar problem with an Atik 383L+ and short exposures - it was the mechanical shutter causing a shadow over the chip as it moved out of the way. My exposures were shorter though < 5 sec

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

I had a similar problem with an Atik 383L+ and short exposures - it was the mechanical shutter causing a shadow over the chip as it moved out of the way. My exposures were shorter though < 5 sec

That was mine initial thought - but Atik 414ex does not have mechanical shutter.

I wonder if the way it's read out has something to do with that, or maybe some other feature of CCD like RBI (but as far as I can tell - icx825 is interline)

• Like 1

thanks its straight out of the camera,the mystery continues