Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

dedicated camera for skywatcher 150/750 PDS

Hi,

I bought my skywatcher 150/750 PDS 6 months ago and have been observing since, using an unmodded DSLR to take some pictures once in a while.

Now I am looking at dedicated cameras and feel completely lost as the choice is enormous :) 

For the scope I have, on a HEQ-5 tracking mount, what is it I should look out most for when choosing a dedicated camera?  Any advise to find out what camers go well with my OTA would be highly apreciated !!!!

Edward

I would suggest to make a decision which path you want to go:

1) One shot Color, - or

2) Mono.

In any way, choose only Cooled version, -20C sensor temp while imaging has enormous impact, plus you will be able to create library of Darks in advance and use them later without wasting time each season.

Mono, with filters and filter wheel, will lighten your wallet twice than One Shot Color... But it is worth it... 

If you are sure you are in this hobby for a longer period of time (and it is very likely as you bought PDS), but you will go for Color Cam, - sooner or later you will decide to switch to Mono, - in this case, with color cam, - you will loose money and most precious time.

On 12/02/2019 at 10:54, Edward Dewolf said:

Hi,

I bought my skywatcher 150/750 PDS 6 months ago and have been observing since, using an unmodded DSLR to take some pictures once in a while.

Now I am looking at dedicated cameras and feel completely lost as the choice is enormous :) 

For the scope I have, on a HEQ-5 tracking mount, what is it I should look out most for when choosing a dedicated camera?  Any advise to find out what camers go well with my OTA would be highly apreciated !!!!

Edward

I have a friend that uses a ATIK 460EX with the 150PDS and gets great results on some of the smaller targets like the Bubble and the Cresent and sub sections of the veil etc.

I use the ASI1600mm pro on my 130pds...Personally I think that the smaller pixels challenge the tracking abilities of the 130PDS at 1.2 arc-seconds per pixel and that with the ASI1600mm pro at 1 arc-second per pixel you will struggle to get the required tracking accuracy with a HEQ5pro to take full advantage of the additional resolution. But if you can get it working it would be a nice setup for galaxy work.

The problem is that the 130PDS is about as long as you want to go for wide field nebula work. After that you are into high resolution imaging of smaller objects as I doubt that the 150PDs will provide a flat field over a sensor larger than a 4/3rds.

So I think I would need to understand what targets you want to image to make any firm recommendations.

Adam

Archived