SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What binoculars do you need to see Uranus?

UranusBinos.thumb.jpg.a387e009c7be231a1673b6bfca926f13.jpg

Short answer: any of the above.

Long answer (L-R) - under Bortle 4 skies, in the order in which I tried them:

• Lunt 16x70 - Exceptionally easy, green-blue colour obvious. Rank 1
  • Lunt 10x50 - Very easy to identify, but colour not as obvious as in the 16x70, but still detectable. Rank 3
  • Vixen 6.5x32 - Not quite as bright as in the 10x50, but colour was better; still easy and obvious. Rank 2
  • No-name plastic lensed 4x30 (free with a part-work) - Extremely difficult owing to horrendous spherical aberration. Could see it in one tube only at a time, with eye position being critical. Not recommended. Rank - 6
  • Vixen 2.1x42 - Not bright, but still quite easy. Rank 4
  • Celestron freebie 2(?)x25, cardboard body, plastic lensed - Inspired to try this by the success with the little Vixen. Yes, it is possible; faint but easy to see once you have acquired it. Rank 5

In reality, I could only recommend the three on the left (or equivalents - say anything of reasonable quality, 6x30 or bigger) for relatively new observers, but it's fun to see what's possible with the freebies.

The following really caught my attention:
"Lunt 10x50 - Very easy to identify, but color not as obvious as in the 16x70, but still detectable.
Vixen 6.5x32 - Not quite as bright as in the 10x50, but color was better; still easy and obvious. Rank 2 "

What is this about?
I mean, a Lunt 10x50 Rank 3 and a 6.5X32 Rank 2?
Thanks
Tico

On 13/02/2019 at 15:07, tico said:

What is this about?
I mean, a Lunt 10x50 Rank 3 and a 6.5X32 Rank 2?

Simply that I found the view in the Vixen 6.5x32 to be more satisfying; not significantly fainter than the 10x50, but better colour and also a steadier view and a sharper image across the field of view.

Archived