SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Comet C/2018 Y1

andrew63

Yup, just come in after a short session with 10x50s.  An enjoyable tour around - eg M44, M67 & M48 - and fairly easy to find the comet, a fuzzy patch below 42 Leonis.  Having found it, I'm looking forward to following it over the next week or two.

Failed at 00:45 because of a very uncomfy posture through the eastern window, but I could detect it with my 16x70 at 3:30 from a west-facing window. Should have been easier to see both times but this night the air is rather thick with haze. On a normal night the comet should be clearly seen in any instrument, so if any of you have doubts about its visibility, surface brightness or whatnot, go and try.

It is neither small nor faint. After finding it only detectable, coming from a lit room, I insisted for a minute, moved it in the field to trigger averted vision, and there is was clearer and clearer, not challenging to see.

Well, it seems to have galloped across the sky a fair amount since last night.  Not such a clear sky tonight - haze and high cloud around - but the comet, if I've spotted it correctly, is some way west and up from Eta Leonis.  Forecast looks ok for a couple of nights hence, so will give it another go then.

3 minutes ago, tico said:

Has anyone tried it with a 25x100 binocular?

Tico

Glimpsed it with 11 x 70s a couple of nights ago after the Moon had set, but only found it because I was imaging it and knew exactly where it was :grin:

Dave

Archived