Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skyhawk 1145PS AZ-EQ

I'm still dithering about which scope to buy. Just seen this Skyhawk one which has a tripod which can be used in both EQ and Alt-AZ modes. This wd be ideal for me as my back yard is restricted in sight lines - a lot of 45degrees - 90! But I cd poss use the Eq mount elsewhere. Any advice welcome? Wd the tripod be stable? (possibly as OTA is light) total weight 7.8kg. (THe original 1145p has good reviews.)

4 minutes ago, ericleo1 said:

I'm still dithering about which scope to buy. Just seen this Skyhawk one which has a tripod which can be used in both EQ and Alt-AZ modes. This wd be ideal for me as my back yard is restricted in sight lines - a lot of 45degrees - 90! But I cd poss use the Eq mount elsewhere. Any advice welcome? Wd the tripod be stable? (possibly as OTA is light) total weight 7.8kg. (THe original 1145p has good reviews.)

I assume it is this one.

Interesting - almost like a new-version az-gti that comes with all the EQ stuff as well. 

I think that looks a very good value package. No easy upgrade path (you'll be selling both if you want a bigger OTA), but I think a reasonable starter kit. 

I have a 1145p that I have used as a lightweight travel scope (budget and needs must!) and I'm impressed with it for what it is. 

Mind you, I'm still learning myself, so others will be along with more experienced opinions ☺ 

Ady

I have this scope and mount. I have commented on the mount (mainly) in my post in reviews (see link). Its a very compact grab'n go setup and although I had reservations about the scope with it being F4.3, for the money its pretty good. Collimation was spot on and for a wide field scope images are good. The usual supplied EPs are not so clever but using my other EPs that are much better, it quite surprised me. With my 20mm/68 degree Maxvision EP  I get a nice 2.7 degree wide field.  The focuser is adequate and at this price point is what you expect and though it can be tinkered with a little its not really upgradeable. The Avant mount is quite interesting and the way I have it working now its pretty decent for a lightweight setup. Stability is better than expected and can be improved by not fully extending the legs and putting a little bit of weight on the spreader/tray but not too much its only a plastic item. As the Avant mount has a 3/8" fitting not the usual 10mm it can be fitted to a photo tripod so there is room for an upgrade in this department. The slomos work well but do induce a little shake when used but it settles down pretty quickly. Its easy to exchange the knobs for flexible items if so wished. I also use the mount with my Opticstar 90/500 and a 4" Mak and I'm happy with the way that works out. The 114p/Avant is what it is. If you are harbouring thoughts of maybe something bigger and more capable then go for that, but if  a lightweight grab n' go with over 100mm of light grasp sounds good then you could do worse. Note my comment re the 130mm/650 pairing with the Avant mount - I really think this is too much for the mount unless someone else can say otherwise.

From my experience with the Avant, if you were considering a 130p I would go for one with a more substantial mount. A 130p will work very nicely on an EQ3-2. It makes for a heavier setup but almost inevitability a good stable mount will be heavier. If I were looking at something with better light grasp than the 114p I would jump to the 6" Skyliner Dobsonian.

Archived