Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More Early Moon Action - Got To x423 With Ease!

cloudsweeper

4.30pm, 11th Feb - got the Dob out to view the Moon (approaching first quarter).

Initially, I used x35 to x115 - detail was good, but (because of light) lacked "texture", especially away from the terminator.

As on previous occasions recently, I focused on a region which stood out well - this time, the interesting pattern of craters of various sizes to the west of Mare Tranquillitatis.  The sky was clear, and the view very stable, so on up to x212.  Fine detail, very sharp, so I went on to my max, namely x423, and I was delighted to note the view was still sharp.  Tracking was trickier though, and the 'scope was rather wobbly at that level.

I dropped to to x317, then x245 - detail was fabulous, and some of that texture was evident, although it was still only 5.25 by then.  Rima Ariadaeus was a well-defined "slash" or crack running between craterlets and leading to MT, and with shadow along its northern edge.

Another rewarding, short session, characterised this time by very good stability as well as interesting and detailed views.

Doug.

The moon and some double stars are the only things really worth looking at here tonight - it's too murky for DSO's.

I've found the seeing steady too - sometimes even "ludicrous speed" 450x with my Tak 100 was delivering surprisingly decent lunar views. Pretending to be an astronaut  flying low over the surface again ! :rolleyes2:

Nice report Doug :smiley:

Great stuff Doug! Nice when the conditions play ball like that. I had my mak up to x550 last night largely just as an exercise in reaching focus with binoviewers and the views held up very well. Pretty amazing.

I got the 10” SCT out so my little boy and his friend from over the wall could have a look. 

‘Epic’ was the pleasing verdict. 

NB it is write ups like yours that have made me determined to learn the moon in much more detail so moon atlas on order and iPad app downloaded :)  

1 hour ago, dannybgoode said:

I got the 10” SCT out so my little boy and his friend from over the wall could have a look. 

‘Epic’ was the pleasing verdict. 

NB it is write ups like yours that have made me determined to learn the moon in much more detail so moon atlas on order and iPad app downloaded :)  

I've found this atlas has added a lot of enjoyment to my lunar observing :smiley:

https://wvupressonline.com/wood_21st_century_moon_atlas_9781938228803

Archived