Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting Expectations

Hello guys,my 8" dob is arriving soon.

I have trouble setting my expectations

Since i have looked through my 3 " dob its hard picturing what i could see with an 8" one.i live in a light polluted city.

Can i look at any dsos directly?

How will they look like using adverted vision?

What can i expect to see?

Also which all around filter should i buy (2") to look at dsos and maybe some planets?

Thanks

Kronos

18 minutes ago, Kronos831 said:

Can i look at any dsos directly?

Yes, especially globulars and bright planetary nebulas.

20 minutes ago, Kronos831 said:

Also which all around filter should i buy (2") to look at dsos and maybe some planets?

I haven't tried them all but the latest light pollution filter production is good so you don't have to go for the expensive ones.

Your other questions being subjective there are no steadfast answers.

I think it's very difficult to help you with your expectations because what you will actually see will depend on a whole lot of things besides the scope. So if I found a picure of, say, M42 or M31 and post it saying this is just what you will be able to see with your scope, there is every chance that you will see it differently (maybe better, maybe worse).

Another way to look at this is that you have a whole universe of discovery awaiting you with your new scope and even with some light pollution the views of DSO's will be better than a 3 inch scope can give. Beyond that, you can tell us what you are actually able to see when you get your new scope :icon_biggrin:

Remember as well that much of the magic can be in understanding *what* you are seeing not how well you are seeing it. 

It might be a faint smudge but that smudge might be a trillion stars and the photons hitting your retina having travelled for millions of years. 

Other sights are less statistically mind blowing but the visual impact unforgettable. 

Kronos

I have 10" SW collapsible Dob, and view a lot of DSO objects from plants to Nebulas

Use 2 or 3 time a month also with my astronomy club, doing presentation in primary schools and scout/guide groups

With the Dob, the hard plastic cover, has a small removable cap

What you do, is get a sheet of Baader visual solar film filter, and sticky tape a piece under the detachable hole

Now able to do solar viewing

Remember to leave off the spotting scope, as to avoid accidental viewing through it, unprotected

Attached image was taken with my smart phone to eyepiece of my Dob, of solar eclipse back in 2012

Where I was, had only 80% eclipse

When comes to filters, I use 1.25mm, which screw into my eyepieces

Also have a 2 times barlow, which you will find useful

Use the yellow filter, to view polar caps on Mars

Lunar filter will reduce the glare from a full moon, and being out the features on the moon

Hope been helpful

John

Solar Eclipse.jpg

Hi Kronos, a 8" scope will collect more light, so the difference is quite marked, if you look at Saturn with with the 3" you will see one moon (Titan), with the 8" you will see up to seven moons (Titan, Enceladus, Rhea, Iapetus, Tethys, Dione & Mimas), that is the difference!  I shouldn't worry about filters yet, there are none that help you see planets better, however, a Neutral Density (ND96 09 or an ND13, both give 13% light transmission) filter will reduce the brightness of Saturn and Jupiter (as well as the Moon).  There are no filters that will help you see galaxies better, you need non-polluted skies for that.  UHC & OIII filters help with various nebulae.  Considering 2" filters is a good choice as you can use these with 2" or 1.25" eps.

2 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Saturn with with the 3" you will see one moon (Titan), with the 8" you will see up to seven moons (Titan, Enceladus, Rhea, Iapetus, Tethys, Dione & Mimas), that is the difference!

I can see I shall have to moon hunting around Saturn, tbh, I've really only been aware of seeing moons in any number around Jupiter until now!

1 hour ago, JOC said:

I can see I shall have to moon hunting around Saturn, tbh, I've really only been aware of seeing moons in any number around Jupiter until now!

Don't forget Uranus and Neptune - the moons there are challenging to spot but can be seen in medium aperture scopes. I've not managed to see Deimos or Phobos at Mars yet though.

Archived