Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW HEQ5 Pro power issue

Rustang

Hello, I run my HEQ5 Pro off a Maplins regulated power supple. I'm having issues with the mount cutting out and re starting instantly most of the time but sometimes stops altogether. It comes normally when the cable is disturbed or randomly during motion. Last night when I had finished imaging, I went to park the scope, half way back to park it cut out the re started again. Its really annoying as it means all the time Pola aligning and set up is lost. I think the issue is at the mount end where the cable plugs in, if you agree then is it easy to get into that bit to investigate what's going on!?

2 minutes ago, Grierson said:

I would be inclined to replace the cable before delving in to the mount. Having said that getting at the power socket is not difficult.

Its at the power socket that I feel the issue lies as Ive tried two different cables and the same thing happens, I'm wondering if something has come lose or corroded as its intermittent.

Hi

I don't think anyone can tell you but obviously the problem is either with the connection or the power supply itself. It shouldn't be too difficult to determine which is to blame. I'd try a different power supply first. If that makes no difference i.e. you still have the same problem, then you will probably have to look at the connector at the heq5 end. The input side is just a standard 2.1 x 5mm power connector and the socket is the corresponding type. I think if it looks like it is a connector problem then it would be worth inspecting the pcb to see if maybe a solder joint on the connector has fractured or whether there is a problem with the socket itself. Hope you can sort it.

Louise

I had a similar problem. I bought a 90° plug/fly lead to go from the mount to the power supply, plan was to put a blob on silicone on the 90° plug/mount socket but in the end didn't need it, just having the 90 plug made all the difference, all the strain was taken off pulling the plug out

15499896759651723397594151867414.thumb.jpg.f005392333ba13d64aed15ec61210cc1.jpg

8 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Check the amperage of the supply. The 90° plug cost £1.50 on eBay and makes for a much safer connection. 

I will try and check the amperage, what should it be? 5 isant it? Will it do any damage doing what it keeps doing!?

1 minute ago, dannybgoode said:

As per the above it’s the ampage not the voltage we need to know. There should be a sticker or embossing on the adapter. 

Feel free just to post a photo of it and I’ll see if it says what we need. 

I will check when home, cheers. 

25 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

No, devices draw the amps they need, voltage is pushed to the device. thats a rather simplistic way to explain it but the upshot is, too many volts will kill it, too many amps wont.

So even with the mount cutting out and re starting it shouldn't damage itself doing that!? 

I had an issue with a 12v 5A PSU from a know retailer last year.
The mount started behaving strange and guiding took a nose dive (more than normal).
Another interesting note was that during a slew the led on the mount would blink (which I was told was down to low power)

I replaced the psu with a bench unit and everything played ball again. Worth checking to see how it behaves during a slew.
A mate of mine recently had an issue as well with a skywatcher mount where is would just stop dead halfway through a slew, the same problem again.

14 hours ago, dyfiastro said:

I had an issue with a 12v 5A PSU from a know retailer last year.
The mount started behaving strange and guiding took a nose dive (more than normal).
Another interesting note was that during a slew the led on the mount would blink (which I was told was down to low power)

I replaced the psu with a bench unit and everything played ball again. Worth checking to see how it behaves during a slew.
A mate of mine recently had an issue as well with a skywatcher mount where is would just stop dead halfway through a slew, the same problem again.

It does happen in slew and also not in slew so will try and rule out the cable side of things first as this obviously moves about in slew, if that makes no difference then I will look at the power supply. Cheers.

On 12/02/2019 at 17:29, Anthonyexmouth said:

Check the amperage of the supply. The 90° plug cost £1.50 on eBay and makes for a much safer connection. 

Thanks for the tip to buy this cable mate, I had an issue free session last night so it appears to have solved the problem!

26 minutes ago, Rustang said:

Thanks for the tip to buy this cable mate, I had an issue free session last night so it appears to have solved the problem!

amazing isnt it. i had planned to put a blob of silicone or hot glue on mine and leave it in place, but it never needed it. now if you have a solution to help me stop losing my guide star we'll call it even. 

4 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

amazing isnt it. i had planned to put a blob of silicone or hot glue on mine and leave it in place, but it never needed it. now if you have a solution to help me stop losing my guide star we'll call it even. 

I would if I could but I'm way to new to all this to help I'm afraid !

Archived