Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

tomato

You couldn't make this up

So, I am out in the backyard tonight trying to add more data to an M106 project before the moon gets too obtrusive and we have a town wide power outage. So suddenly I have pristine dark skies, my laptop and dew heaters are still working but the mount and camera are on mains power, Arrrgh!

Looks like a UPS will be added to the likes list for the permanent observatory....

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I use a car battery for backup in my observatory - just a cheap one.

Where's the 😲 icon in the 'like' etc. button?! Was the sky significantly better? Imagine if....!

Well after what seems an age,i also have cracking skies,so got my new to me 450d modded and CLS filter and all set up to image m33 and every thing going great inc guiding and after a half an hour i checked on things and after 2 subs my battery ran out........and only have 1,so now charging....😫

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Where's the 😲 icon in the 'like' etc. button?! Was the sky significantly better? Imagine if....!

Well, it did look significantly darker down to the horizon, maybe a chunk of North Yorkshire was affected? I have one particularly annoying street light to the South which gets in the way of Orion at this time of year, and with that out the Hunter looked very impressive above  the row of blacked out townhouses.

The power is back on now, but the clouds have rolled in, I just love this hobby.🤪 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Oh man!

That's a good shout, though... I have long-term plans to build an obsy and I will now include some kind of UPS whether it's a generator or a heft leisure battery.

3 minutes ago, x6gas said:

Oh man!

That's a good shout, though... I have long-term plans to build an obsy and I will now include some kind of UPS whether it's a generator or a heft leisure battery.

Yeah, has to be good idea, especially if I retire to a location with a dodgy power infrastructure.😁

The last time we had a power cut when I was out with the scope, all the kids in the area came out with their million-candela torches ... it was worse than the streetlights .... (just call me Marvin!)

12 hours ago, tomato said:

Well, it did look significantly darker down to the horizon, maybe a chunk of North Yorkshire was affected? I have one particularly annoying street light to the South which gets in the way of Orion at this time of year, and with that out the Hunter looked very impressive above  the row of blacked out townhouses.

The power is back on now, but the clouds have rolled in, I just love this hobby.🤪 

And maybe an UCS (uninterruptible clear sky).............You will have to move house for that one Bro

• Haha 2