Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Sun 10th Feb 2019 - A Bit Of An Experiment

David Smith

I've been considering a short focal length frac to get solar full disk images for a while now and when one came up on ABS the other week I took the plunge and picked up a Bresser AR102xs. It's focal length meant that I could potentially get a solar full disk with my ASI178 in one frame, great for grabbing a disk quick when the weather's not so great (when isn't it). I've also got half an eye on an upgrade to my H Alpha setup which might include a Quark bolted to a short focus frac, so this fits the bill again.

I managed a quick and dirty first light the day after I collected it but didn't really draw any conclusions due to the rushed nature of the session. Today I had a longer session and managed to explore both white light and Ca-K with this scope. After that initial look with the scope I did not think I could get focus with the Herschel wedge but I managed fine today! It is kind of tough to judge the results with no detail to be seen though.

2019_WL_FD_AR102xs.thumb.png.264a7d99d80664e941b6aba8112b32eb.png

The Ca-k is more worrying to be honest, the concern with Ca-K is spherical aberration which limits sharpness in the final image and results here don't look great to me. The advantage of doing a full disk in one shot is that I can combine surface and prom layers like this.

2019_Ca-K_FD_Proms_alt_AR102xs.thumb.png.9a62a822eea794682a1e3d85009f04fc.png

2019_Ca-K_FD_Proms_AR102xs.thumb.png.472d53120ed404d43907d25a19ce997c.png

Not sure if I am just expecting too much from the little scope after being spoilt by my Evostar 120 for so long, or whether there is actually an issue. Jury's out until I get a session in with a nice AR to look at and in the meatime I wil try some night-time wide field viewing.

Archived