SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mercury as Winter Evening Star

CentaurZ

Elusive Mercury has commenced its apparition in the early evening western sky following its superior conjunction behind the Sun on 2019 JAN 29.

Photos and descriptions of Mercury during this apparition would be welcome additions to this thread.

Mercury-App.JPG.f11466675a81e24fc224226e02ea1423.JPG

15 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Thanks for the headsup. I always try to put a note on my FB page about decent Mercury apparitions. Don't think the moon is going to be as helpful a signpost as Venus was last year, though. Will probably pinch your pic this time (if that's OK?).

You're welcome. Yes, downloading would be quite OK. ?

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing your heads up for #1, I went out this evening. Sure enough, Mercury is showing about 15 or 20 degrees above my horizon.

There was some haze making viewing poor, but using a 4mm I could make it out as a definite crescent.

With a 10mm in my 8" dob, it was quite small, but your could tell it wasn't a round orb.

From the Internet I see its 108 million miles from Earth. That distance really eliminates the size difference it is compared to the moon.

Got a glimpse of Mercury just above the rooftops this evening about 18:00. I spotted it in 10x50 bins then I had a try with a 70mm refractor, although the view was a bit turbulent, as can be expected. Good conditions are expected to continue so I`ll keep on trying for a better view.

I caught Mercury last night in my 72mm frac after walking up onto a higher part of the local heath with a good western horizon. From there it appeared quite high, and was initially found at x18 before it was visible with the naked eye (although some thin cloud may have been blocking it); I picked it up around 5.55pm. Upping the power to x72 showed the partial phase nicely, although the seeing was obviously pretty jumpy down that low.

By 6.15pm it was clearly visible with the naked eye, and I picked it up between the houses from home.

Tonight I spotted it again after getting home, and grabbed a nice look through my Vixen 14x50 spotting scope.

Easily visible to me with naked eye at 1824 this evening as I was riding due west in Richmond Park towards Richmond Gate. Quite bright though low. Only the second time I’ve ever seen it, the first time in identical circumstances more or less this time last year.

magnus

Archived