Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

guiding with star discovery mount

is it possible to guide with star discovery mount?what i have to atatch and how? if its possible,i wonder if i put mounthead on wedge and starguide, will it go likw eq mount and than it will be possible to make longer exposures?

I don't think guiding is an option with this mount.

I don't think there is a designed wedge for it and just putting it on a wedge will probably mess up the tracking that is designed for AZ.

It looks similar to the mount that comes with the 102SLT (which I used) and it is possible to get 10/15s subs with a reasonable percentage of loss due to tracking and get some acceptable photos.

If AP is your passion, you will want to get a proper EQ mount - the mount is the most important part of the imaging equipment. It would be worth getting this book (written by one of our members) which contains a wealth of good advice.

wedge isnt porblem to do...i was thining-mount has goto syncscan4... if i put guiding camera and connect it to laptop,and laptop conect to syncscan (i dint know how) why wouldnt be guiding possible (i know it isnt best option but i am trying to make imposible posible)

I suppose, thinking about it, with a two-star align, a wedge would merely make the software think you had a serously unlevel tripod and would reduce the DEC movement accordingly. I guess that in itself would allow you to image objects for longer (no field rotation), may even increase the exposure length if the wedge was at the exact angle and properly aligned.

As the proper guiding, that would depend on the cable connections - but I have no idea if they would be compatible. 

If you are a person who likes "fiddling" with things, it may be worth a try (but check compatibility first or you might burn out the mount electronics!). But I don't think it would be the "easy" way to get longer subs.

Have you exhausted using what you have.

Have you tried telling the mount your latitude is 0 and putting it on a wedge at angle for your location and seeing if it just tracks in azimuth (actually I think it would still be both axis tracking) (no go to would be possible so would rely on tracking only), it is a thought I have been toying with trying for my Virtuoso mount, so the idea is untested as to whether it even works or if there are any negative consequences.

Archived