SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mak wrap - should really break the CoC

Stu

Hmm, feeling quite offended by the look of this, but willing to see it through to know whether there is a benefit or not. Looks 'orrible!!

Will report back in about 6 months when the cloud lifts......

20190209_233314.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, John said:

Something to do with this I think:

Looks like it ought to be in orbit to me !

Lol - so trying to keep it warm? I can see the thought process behind it but I suspect cooling it before use or storing it in ambient cool place would be better, I have lots of trouble with my triplets - almost wish I'd got ED's...

Louise

14 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Lol - so trying to keep it warm? I can see the thought process behind it but I suspect cooling it before use or storing it in ambient cool place would be better, I have lots of trouble with my triplets - almost wish I'd got ED's...

Louise

Not trying to keep it warm Louise, trying to stop tube currents which seem to occur even when it has been out cooling for quite some time, especially if the temperature keeps falling fast.

It apparently works, so I'm giving it a try! It will be dark so I won't notice how ugly it is, so much anyway!

37 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not trying to keep it warm Louise, trying to stop tube currents which seem to occur even when it has been out cooling for quite some time, especially if the temperature keeps falling fast.

Isn't that a side effect of 'keeping it warm'? I can get thermals causing problems with my fracs cos I image through open windows. It depends on the temperature differential. So I have to open the windows in advance and let the room and scopes cool down to near the outside ambient. It's my purgatory whilst I'm still alive. The universe wants me to be well aware that I'm suffering. I can only hope it won't be eternal. Nothing lasts forever, right?

Hope that astro hack does work!

Louise

ps it will be Spring soon so maybe fewer problems being caused by rapid temperature drops? Also, less chance of me succumbing to hypothermia :) 

I think rather than "keeping the scope warm" Louise, I'd probably describe it as attempting to minimise temperature differentials within the OTA.  Whether it's warm or not may well be irrelevant (though I'm not sure about that and I'm very interested to see how Stu's mod works out in that respect).  The important thing is that it all stays as close to the same temperature as possible.

James

6 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I think rather than "keeping the scope warm" Louise, I'd probably describe it as attempting to minimise temperature differentials within the OTA.  Whether it's warm or not may well be irrelevant (though I'm not sure about that and I'm very interested to see how Stu's mod works out in that respect).  The important thing is that it all stays as close to the same temperature as possible.

James

minimise temperature differentials within the OTA = keeping it warm! Or = keeping it cool! Semantics ha ha Just my sense of humour. It's late...

16 minutes ago, Prador said:

It's not the differential; it the transfer of heat that's the issue. Keep them isolated from each other and all is good.

Im not getting something here, unless you have a hefty amount of insulation, eventually the insulation itself will reach outside temperature. Unless it is heated, the insulation too will reach equilibrium with air temp and you're back to square one. That foil may delay the inevitable, but by what maybe half an hour?

5 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Im not getting something here, unless you have a hefty amount of insulation, eventually the insulation itself will reach outside temperature. Unless it is heated, the insulation too will reach equilibrium with air temp and you're back to square one. That foil may delay the inevitable, but by what maybe half an hour?

I think (correct me if I'm wrong, someone) the idea is to buffer rapid drops in temperature which can happen, especially if we have a particularly cold spell

Louise

ps in the UK our winters are generally not so cold but sometimes temperatures can dip

1 minute ago, Prador said:

Thermodynamics aside, the insulation seems like an ingenious solution to a problem that shouldn't exist. Keep the bucket out of the house and you're at (or very close to) ambient already.

I think the problem arises because there isn't a constant ambient - temperatures can drop quite rapidly from a starting point. That's how I read it but I'm not a Mak owner.

Louise

Ambient can do what it wants. The effort is being expended to reduce the movement of heat rate of change between the scope and ambient. No insulation is perfect but if you can minimise the transfer of heat from the scope, the air within it will be steady as a rock.

I'm looking at this purely from a physics perspective with no practical experience to back it up so the feedback from Stu will be interesting.

If the insulation remedies the tube currents, it is besides the fact that eventually, be it one hour or two after the scope is moved outside, it will, insulation and all, reach outside temperature.You can have the warmest jacket in the world, it only works while you are producing heat, once you run out of energy, you and the jacket will equalize to outside temp.

i'm not saying the insulation won't work but, if it does, it will be for a reason besides this fact which is inevitable. Let me know if it does work Stu, i will wrap mine too!

14 minutes ago, alan potts said:

That's a first Stu, telescope Bling, don't feelit will catch on though.

Alan

Aesthetically it is awful Alan I agree, but if it works I will use it.

As others have said, it is about slowing the transfer of heat so that tube currents are reduced. I have owned a number of Maks and have always found they suffer from tube currents regardless of how long they are left out.

Once I've fitted the solar panels and found someone to launch it into orbit, I'll update you all know how it works ;)

I think "buffering" is perhaps the best word to describe the benefit of the insulating wrap. Aesthetics? Well, my first car was a VW Beetle, not a pretty car, but it went very well and I did 250,000 km in it in eight years with very few problems apart from getting stuck in the odd six foot snow drift!

Chris

Archived