Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Martincrowly

Hi From Ellesmere Port New to Forum

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and hopefully will be aquiring a new telescope in the near future.

Living in Ellesmere Port Cheshire and looking for good observing sites not to far away.

Looking forward to clear skys hopefully.

Welcome. Hope you find the clear sky sites not toooo far from you, and clear skies when you get there !

Hello and welcome to the forum, plenty of good information here. 🙂 I don't think even this forum will help with clear skies though! 🙄

Hi and welcome. 

There are a few local astro societies quite close to you - Liverpool Astro are probably the biggest, they have talks etc in Central Liverpool, and an observatory in North Widnes (near Cronton).

I don't know much about Chester AS, but you'll be welcome at my local club, the Mid Cheshire Astro Group, who meet in Delamere Forest on the last Friday of the Month for talks etc, and on Wednesdays (at least until Easter) for observing if it's clear, or for 'classroom' activities if the weather isn't great. 

I try to make myself available for the Wednesday meetings to answer any questions or equipment issues that people might have.

When we're meeting in Delamere Forest, we use the Old Pale car park for observing - which isn't too bad, considering we're in the middle of Cheshire, but for dark skies, you really need to get over to some of the darker sites in North Wales. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the SGL and good luck finding some quality sites. I remember when I started I scoured a map of my area and found several potential sites...in the end I have yet to leave my back yard! I can always come up with something to view that doesn't require dark skies. One day though...

13 hours ago, Martincrowly said:

Living in Ellesmere Port Cheshire and looking for good observing sites not to far away.

You'd be welcome to come along to Chester Astronomical Society. We meet in Waverton Village Hall, just south of Chester on the last Weds of each month (next is Feb 27 when Professor Rob Jeffries, of the University of Keele, will speak about The Gaia Mission).

One of our members is a local farmer who lets us observe from one of his fields. It's quite dark and the horizons are good. If it's clear after a meeting some people will go there to iobserve, but we meet up at other times too.

Hi and a very warm welcome to the Lounge. Good luck on your choice of scope :)

Steve

Welcome, Best of Luck with the new telescope and Clear Skies of course 🙂

Freddie...

Welcome to the lounge.

Rick M

Martin

Welcome from Land Down Under

You travel the universe in this forum

John

On 09/02/2019 at 19:38, Martincrowly said:

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and hopefully will be aquiring a new telescope in the near future.

Looking forward to clear skys hopefully.

Delamere isn't too bad if you don't mind a trip to talacre beach that's alright too. Other than that it's north Wales Which is the best place to go. 

On 12/02/2019 at 21:03, Dave Lloyd said:

Hi Martin, welcome. Get yourself over to Llyn Brenig. 

There's also the Alwen Reservoir, that has a car park overlooking the dam. Very dark skies to South and West

There's a chippy in Corwen (about 15 minutes from there) that'll take telephone orders if you can get to them before 8pm. 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought so, we like dark skies, but we love chips!

Welcome from Warrington, not too far away.  Good luck with the clear skies! :)

Hello and welcome to SGL, hope you enjoy the community, see you around the forums.

Clear Sky's.